Running video to a bottom mounted LCD on a Glidecam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Running video to a bottom mounted LCD on a Glidecam

Hey, I searched all over for this and coundn't find anything... so...

What's the best way to get a video signal to the bottom of a Glidecam 4000 Pro sled? I seems to me it might be best to drill a hole in the top and bottom of the center post and run it through the there...

Anyone...

Also, I'm asumming you can drop some weight on the front of the sled once the LCD is there, right? I've got it balanced and stuff with my XL1s, just don't have the monitor on. I can't imagine adding too much more weight, so I was just planning on taking a few of the washers off the front...
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Wrangler

Kevin:

I'm not a Glidecam expert per se, but...

yes and yes.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Kevin,

I just did that with my sled which is similar to the Glidecam. In my case, I had to take all the weights off the front as I hooked the battery to the back of the monitor and mounted in on the front. I then had to add a bit more weight to the back to equalize it.

I had to do this as my battery cable is so short that I couldn't mount the battery on the rear of the bottom plate. I suppose I will make a longer cable so I can put the monitor on the front and the battery on the back.

I did notice that with the extra weight, my sled was a bit more stable but I do have an arm and vest to support it so a bit more weight is OK.

Charles,

How's your ankle? Remodel? Video?

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Wrangler

Terry:

Healing slowly. Endless. Once I'm mobile again.

..but thanks for asking!
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Terry:

Healing slowly. Endless. Once I'm mobile again.

..but thanks for asking!
Hi Charles,

Sorry to hear your injury. Wish you recover soon.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

thanks...she's a beaut. Itching to get back to work again.
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Hope you can get all done that you want to.

Tery

www.indicam.com

Last edited by Terry Thompson; August 18th, 2005 at 11:24 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #8
New Boot

Which LCD monitor and battery are you guys using?
George Creasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm using a modified Panasonic 7" widescreeen LCD. It has a mount on the back of it to run off the same batteries as my XL1s.

I got it from a company called Nebtek.
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Nebtec NEB50 5" (looks great in full sunshine) with the Panasonic Li-Ion battery adaptor. The battery is the stock one (1600 mAh) that comes with the camera. I bought the 5000 mAh battery for my DVX-100a off of dvxuser.com because of the extra shooting time if allows. A great value!

Tery

www.indicam.com
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:28 AM   #11
Major Player

By all means, drill a hole...just make sure you carefully deburr it and file the cut edges down (or use a rubber grommet) so that your cable doesn't catch on the edge and wear down over time.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I recently attached this monitor w/battery pack to the bottom of my Glidecam 2000 Pro (I use a Sony VX1000):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It's now pretty heavy, but my optional forearm brace helps. I think I'll need to purchase a Glidecam Smooth Shooter system when I can afford it to sustain longer tracking shots without wearing down my arm.

I screwed a hole on one end of the included "table" mount (came with the LCD) and placed the screw through it (I used the G2K screw). I then used one strip of velcro to secure the other end of the table mount. I then used two strips of velcro to secure the battery pack on the opposite side and attached G2K discs to balance the weight. It worked perfectly for me.

Some pics:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...red/G2K003.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...red/G2K002.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...red/G2K001.jpg
Armin DeFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #13
Wrangler

Armin:

I see that you have a very short cable between battery and monitor, but you still could rotate the battery 90 degrees, which would probably eliminate the need for the two weight disks (every little bit helps) as you are redistributing the battery's weight further back.

An even more useful project for down the road would be to mount both the monitor and the battery further apart, extended off the front and back respectively. This will give you an amazing amount of added inertia which will make a significant difference in keeping the rig steady, while not affecting the overall weight significantly (outside of whatever plate you need to use to achieve the mounting). This may also help with glare on the monitor as you may be able to set it less horizontally.

If you are now finding that the system is bottom heavy, one solution is to move the monitor up closer to the camera, which will also help with the tilt issue.
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Armin:

I see that you have a very short cable between battery and monitor, but you still could rotate the battery 90 degrees, which would probably eliminate the need for the two weight disks (every little bit helps) as you are redistributing the battery's weight further back.

An even more useful project for down the road would be to mount both the monitor and the battery further apart, extended off the front and back respectively. This will give you an amazing amount of added inertia which will make a significant difference in keeping the rig steady, while not affecting the overall weight significantly (outside of whatever plate you need to use to achieve the mounting). This may also help with glare on the monitor as you may be able to set it less horizontally.

If you are now finding that the system is bottom heavy, one solution is to move the monitor up closer to the camera, which will also help with the tilt issue.
I took your advice Charles and it worked. It's now lighter and was still easy for me to balance. Thanks!
Armin DeFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #15
Wrangler

Glad it worked out...!

Another step to reduce weight would be to power the camera off your battery at the bottom, but this would require a voltage converter such as this one which may possibly weigh as much as your GL2 battery...!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)