How to select monitor for Glidecam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to select monitor for Glidecam?

Well now I'm considering getting a monitor for a Glidecam HD4000; ideally something as light as possible because my camera is only 4 lbs. Either Ikan:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760512-REG/Ikan_VL7_7_HDMI_LCD_Monitor.htmlor the one glidecam sells:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/141721-REG/Glidecam_L4PRO_L4_PRO_4_Active_Matrix.html
If I get the Glidecam monitor, I'd have to buy the separate battery pack I think.

I'm leaning towards the first one because the monitor size is larger and I don't know if the Glidecam monitor's sun shade can be removed. Do you have any suggestions on this? Do you tape the video cable to the post?
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to select monitor for Glidecam?

Because we generally leave our cam in auto focus (I know most pro's hate that) we only needed the monitor for framing so a couple of years ago I went the cheap route and bought an LDC4 7" LCD with a sony L battery plate for just under $200. Works great on the Glidcam 4000HD. The monitor and a large generic Sony battery takes the place of just about all of the weights that would be on the front of the sled. At some point we will upgrade to a HD monitor.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Get this guy

It's cheap, has a built in battery, and it's light. I use it more for my crane than my Glidecam though.
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post
Because we generally leave our cam in auto focus (I know most pro's hate that) we only needed the monitor for framing so a couple of years ago I went the cheap route and bought an LDC4 7" LCD with a sony L battery plate for just under $200. Works great on the Glidcam 4000HD. The monitor and a large generic Sony battery takes the place of just about all of the weights that would be on the front of the sled. At some point we will upgrade to a HD monitor.
Can you specify which brand/model of LCD monitor?
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Huffaker View Post
Get this guy
Amazon.com: Lilliput 7" 668gl-np/h/y for Hd Camera with Hdmi & Bnc Ypbpr and Built in Battery: Electronics

It's cheap, has a built in battery, and it's light. I use it more for my crane than my Glidecam though.
Thanks for that.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Lee View Post
Can you specify which brand/model of LCD monitor?
the company sells their own branded monitors from their website. Company is lcd4video.com

I just checked and the 7" monitor with a canon, panasonic,or sony battery plate is $179.95. Resolution is listed as 1140 x 234.It has RCA inputs (no HDMI).

I clamp it onto the Glidecam 400HD with a super clamp. As I said before I wouldn't use it for focus but it is great for framing shots. With the monitor on the front of the sled and the Sony battery plate / battery on the rear it is a good solution for balancing the rig pretty easily.

The monitor with the battery plate is described on their website as;

LCD4Video 7" LCD Monitor Deluxe On-Camera Kit

EDIT: I also just saw where they now have what they call "HD" monitor that is 800 x 480 and has HDMII inputs for $299.95 with your choice of battery plates as with the std def monitor. Even though it is not real HD if you can afford it the extra $100 would be worth it I am guessing.

Last edited by D.J. Ammons; May 9th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Pretty sure that the LCD4video monitors are Lilliputs, marked up. Home - LILLIPUT.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I did bought on december 2010 the item 390308043394 from ebay. This ebayer sells a lot o different packages with one or two batteries, sun-hood, hot shoe and various gift from only 167$ including free shipping worldwide. The visibility on daylight (no direct sun) with sunhood is accettable for that price.
Antonio Ricca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)