SOA Steadicam workshop opinions? Please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SOA Steadicam workshop opinions? Please!

Hello,
There's going to be a 6-day International Steadicam Workshop from SOA with Don Garret and local operators in Santiago, Chile next september.

Since it is near me (I'm in Buenos Aires, Argentina), I'm thinking about taking it, but since its USD 1500, and me being a student in a 3rd world country...

I would like to know if any have taken this workshop or have any news from somebody...

I have extensive background on camera op. but not on steadicam, so this would be my first time and I'm wondering how many skilled will I came out after the 6 (intensive?) days.

Thx!
L
Luis Reggiardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

Luis:

If you are serious about learning how to operate Steadicam, the workshop is an absolute must. There is no-one better to learn from than Garrett himself, he's the Man and has not only been operating longer than anyone alive, he's also been teaching for nearly as long and it is an unforgettable life experience to spend a week with him.

My recommendation (this is coming from having done the workshop myself over 20 years ago, and also from having taught at about 15 of them) is to see if you can get some time on a rig before you do the workshop, preferably with the guidance of someone who is an experienced operator. This will give you the very basics and get you used to the sensation of flying the rig so that you can dive in from day one of the workshop and be able to focus more on the subtleties by the end. Already being an experienced cameraman is a big help, because you will have an instinctive sense of framing. It takes a couple of days of operating before one is able to marry that to the physical act of wearing the rig, so getting over that hurdle before the workshop will be beneficial.

Either way, you will emerge from the workshop able to perform simple shots pretty well, and even bludgeon your way through the diabolically difficult Grand Prix shot that is your final "exam" on the last day. From that point on it is up to you to get practice time to really hone the skills, but the workshop will set you up well with all sorts of practice exercises and tips to set you on the right path.

$1500 is actually quite reasonable for a 6 day workshop--I think they are closer to $2500 these days in the US.

Do it! You'll be glad you did!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Major Player

"Do it! You'll be glad you did!"
Amen!

..As somone at preaty close to teh other extreme.. I only stepped into a rig less than a year ago, and took the SOA workshop in Philly last Oct. I'll say that it was absoloutly awsome. GB didn't run that paticular workshop, but he was in attendance, and well, wow. :-)
I'm allready looking for my next opertunity to attend one! ...Which, to be honest, I'd possibly do even if i wasn't going ot be an operator! on top of all the great stuff you learn it's also a blast! :-)

Just do it!

- Mikko
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #4
New Boot

Hey Luis,

A friend of mine and I are shooting an experimental short in BS.AS. Can you tell me where I can rent a steadycam in town? Also, if there's any chance you'd like to help let's talk about it. Unfortunately, I don't have a budget beyond dinner at Miranda or Trapiche but maybe you could get some experience for the resume.

Suerte con los 1500 USD de mierda. Qué caro clase.

Alan
Alan Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Porter
Hey Luis,A friend of mine and I are shooting an experimental short in BS.AS. Can you tell me where I can rent a steadycam in town? Also, if there's any chance you'd like to help let's talk about it. Alan
Alan,
Sure! I am willing to help you, just for the experience (being student...)

Two of the best places for Steadicams in Argentina are:

-Matías Mesa (operator w/eq. - the most experienced guy in Argentina, worked several times in Gus Van Sant films and other features abroad):
Tel: 154-991-6920 / E-mail: Jacuzycamera@arnet.com.ar or steadima@interserver.com.ar / Web: http://www.steadimatt.com.ar

-Fly-Cam (most known steadi rental company):
www.flycam.com.ar / Tel: 4799-4730 & 4711-1530

Others:
-www.xcamweb.com.ar (Tel: 15-4949-5770)
-www.pro-video.com.ar (Tel: 4583-5237)
-www.moviegrip.com.ar
-Roberto Espiño (Tel: 4554-6256)

Tell me how can I contact u or were could we meet, my local phone: 155-4936-428 (from abroad: 549114936428), e.mail: luis.reggiardo@gmail.com

In what format will u be shooting? dates?

Thx and good luck!
Luis

Last edited by Luis Reggiardo; August 28th, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Aternative to SOA?

Hi!
I've found a smaller course in my city wchich cost way less than the SOA one: Does anybody could compare the SOA workshops with any other course you may have heard of? I mean, besides being instructed by Garret and some special movements (Flying cam eg.) would be there any other advantage to pay 3-4 times more?

Thx!
L
Old September 7th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #7
Wrangler

Luis:

It absolutely depends on the instructor. Obviously I don't anything about the workshop you mention, but I can easily see an instructor being 1/3 to 1/4 as good at teaching as Garrett! Plus there's always the possibility of being taught "wrong"--I'm sure we've all had teachers in school who, in retrospect, may not have really been qualified to teach that subject?

By the way, the Steadicam forum, like this one, prefers real names vs screen names when posting--the difference being that there isn't active moderating over there so you are less likely to be spanked.
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #8
New Boot

I know I may be a bit late for this particular event, however after doing a course in Malibu with GB, Charles and the other outstanding great teachers I can only recommend it as a must do. The first hand experience can not be underestimated and the pointers give confidence that you may be hard pressed to gain even with years of working and practicing on your own.

Good luck to all the future great flyers

Noel
Noel Fleck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)