Great Steadicam shot in a movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Tourist

Great Steadicam shot in a movie

There is a great steadicam sequence in the movie The Oxford Murders(2008) where we follow a person walking down the street into a book store, then back out to where we follow Elijah Wood on a bicycle to his apartment. After he gets off his bike the camera glides along the sidewalk then floats magically up in the air and into an open window to the first murder victim.
I still can't figure out how they flew up into that open window so smoothly. But the steadicam sequence was breathtaking and perfectly timed to the traffic of people and cars going in & out of the shot.
This is right at the begining of the movie.
Anyone get a chance to see this movie?
Does anyone have any steadicam favorites to share?

Here is the clip on Vimeo.

Last edited by Jimmy Martin; January 24th, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Adding a clip
Jimmy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Great Steadicam shot in a movie

Well, I'd say that's a great collection of shots! I think my final count was 6 shots. The first shot was certainly done on some kind of crane (guessing a Technocrane), as was the second-to-last, and the interior of the house location was (best guess) done on a traditional dolly inside the house. There's a ton of stitching of shots, and some of it is pretty glaringly obvious (including big lighting changes, and what looks like a location change when we pass the blue van). Quite a lovely sequence though, and the cuts allow the timing of the shots to be spot-on, which is really what sells the sequence.

Very fun movie too - I don't know of many others who've seen it, but I'm glad someone else had, and has now reminded me of it!
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That last ext. shot going through the window was probably aided by some green screen work too if the shots weren't stitched.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

Best place to view classic Steadicam shots is at steadishots.org

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)