JODA Gimbal 3 Axis Hand Held Stabilizer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Major Player

JODA Gimbal 3 Axis Hand Held Stabilizer

Hi, I am coming to the end of my build of a custom carbon fiber 3 Axis stabilizer. We have been shooting some amazing stuff with it in the last two weeks.

This gimbal started out as a CNC carbon fiber assembly with 3 iPower 5208 180T gimbal motors. Next the gimbal controller hardware and software - Through research and trial and error we have assembled a really cool hand held gimbal that rivals anything on the market. The footage is awesome, joystick controller, follow angle mode, it has it all. I don't have a FPV transmitter and RC reciever because I don't need it or want it at this point. I also shoot Steadicam and never needed that.

I have been posting in my Blog extensively about the build, with instructions and tuning and videos of the trials and errors and progress.

Not sure about the TOS here about mentioning other websites, so this may get moderated...BUT I don't want to repost all the work I've done, rather, it's easier for the end user to link into the blog and see for themselves if they are thinking about getting a gryo stabilized gimbal. These will be sprouting up by all the major players in the coming year or two. Think of all the players in this market - Tiffen, Bogen, Miller, Glidecam...I guarantee they are in R&D...this came out of left field with the UAV hobbyist community...you know, Cinestar, DJI, ZenMuse...dudes just unhooked them from their multirotor. I don't even know who was the first. Probably someone in China. Check it out...hope you find it useful.

Dave Beaty's Blog - DIY Drones

Video Playlist of progress
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAS0YXZtIgqOS3fy4wh1BeeY8Go0BVt4K
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: JODA Gimbal 3 Axis Hand Held Stabilizer

Hi Dave, I'm really interested in this but your blog seems to be empty. Is there anywhere else I can read more about it or do you have anymore info about maybe selling it yourself. Also, do you know what the maximum weight it could carry would be? I'm wondering if it could hold a bare Sony Fs100 with a small lens.

Thanks, Michael.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bradshaw View Post
Hi Dave, I'm really interested in this but your blog seems to be empty. Is there anywhere else I can read more about it or do you have anymore info about maybe selling it yourself. Also, do you know what the maximum weight it could carry would be? I'm wondering if it could hold a bare Sony Fs100 with a small lens.

Thanks, Michael.
Hi Michael, I had to move my BLOG and I'm looking for a new home for it. In the mean time, all the videos are linked on my Youtube channel. The tutorial video on the build and the SimplBCG software cover all of it. As far as weight goes, I am just not sure, it should work fine for the FS100. I'd look at small primes. The most important factor is perfect balance before you begin. You have to get the center of gravity of three axis in alignment so the camera will stay when you let go...then the motor only have to use feather weight to move the whole thing!

youtube.com/dbeaty2
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Major Player

New Videos Rocking the JODA

Some warp stabilizer but not on the vehicle driving shots. That's raw
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your efforts. Look forward to watching through it all. M.
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Major Player

OK I think I'm up and running on JODA Gimbal Brushless Hand Held 3 Axis Gimbal for a blog and forum about building DIY hand held full size camera gimbals. Please share if you know anyone interested in this developing technology. We are at the forefront and MoVi certainly doesn't have all the cards. I am really excited about how this will revolutionize hand held camera work...one circuit board and robotics controlled motor at a time.

Dave
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Brilliant, that'll be my reading over the weekend sorted. Thanks Dave.
Old November 29th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Dave, Great stuff! I have registered to your blog and posted.

Thanks

Southenrdude
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi I just posted an interesting demo and video about using 3 Axis Hand Held Gimbals on the EasyRig system. This is the strange looking contraption that features a back pack and a riser coming up from the spine that supports camera over your head, there is a pulley system that takes the weight of the camera off your shoulder and arms and moves it to your hips for nearly effortless hand held takes. Here I test it out with our "JODA GIMBAL" stabilizer.

Easy Rig Demo Video supporting 3 Axis Camera Gimbal
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #10
Major Player

We shot some really amazing stuff last week with JODA gimbal. This was after tuning the software even better and using some simply tools to help in the field. These shots are unprocessed and could be even smoother with some type of post processing filters.

Mangrove Forest with Ruta

Cycling in Port Sanibel (Actually I'm shooting from inline skates here)

Dave Beaty
3 Axis Hand Held Brushless Gimbal Stabilizer JODA
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)