To Steadicam or Not To Steadicam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Tourist

To Steadicam or Not To Steadicam?

Hey guys!

Quick question. I'm taking a Master's in Film at my school right now and they're putting on a Steadicam workshop in order to get Steadicam certified. The inventor of the Steadicam will even be there for a day which is pretty cool I guess. It costs $850 which they normally said that it costs somewhere around $3000. Would be a cool thing to have I suppose. But in the post-Movi world, do you think it's worth it to get certified with the Movi slowly taking over? Would love to hear peoples' thoughts.

Thanks!
Ryan
Ryan McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: To Steadicam or Not To Steadicam?

As to whether the Movi is "slowly taking over", that depends in who's eyes. Gimbals can't do everything a Steadicam does, and Steadicam can't do everything a gimbal can, and I personally think the future is probably a mashup of the two.

As to whether you should take the class, are you fascinated by Steadicam? Is it something you are intrigued by? It requires passion to pursue (even after a week of instruction, most will emerge barely above novice level). Understand that the "certification" involved is that you will simply be certified that you took the class, it's not a distinction that will transform you into a legitimate operator. Really it comes down to whether or not it's something you'd like to learn more about. If it is a full 5-day workshop, then this is indeed a very good deal, so if you find the idea of working with Steadicam enthralling, you should definitely take it. In addition to learning about the hardware and specific operating technique, you'll probably pick up some ideas about the vocabulary of moving with a camera in general that can be directly applied to Movi and even handheld.

Finally--getting to meet and learn from Garrett Brown if even for a day is a great opportunity. He's a legend in the industry, having invented not only Steadicam but Skycam and a bunch of other amazing camera rigs, as well as a captivating presence.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As Charles said, if it's something that intrigues you, then great. If you think it will help with your portfolio, that's good too. But nothing replaces experience. I've been using my steadicam for 6 years plus in the business. I live off mine, using it in 75% of my video work. So experience is good too, and if you want to be that 'steadicam guy' on American Idol, then the certification along with years of practice will help.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Tourist

Cool. Thanks guys...that helps a lot. I have a desire to work in movie productions and truth be told, a Glidecam or dolly move when well executed, is the coolest thing ever. Currently, I work doing a lot of wedding films and I really think knowing how to properly operate a Steadicam or Glidecam really sets apart the mid-market from the high market. There's other things that go into it but that's definitely one thing I see from really high-end vendors. Anyways, it was great to hear from some guys who are more in the industry. I think I'm going to take the plunge and take the four-day workshop. Thanks guys!
Ryan McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Wrangler

Be sure to come back and tell us your thoughts about the workshop after the fact! Have fun...
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Charles as usual is being modest here - he is a very well regarded Steadicam operator (or used to be - now he hires operators, if I'm properly informed) in his own right with very significant credits to his name.
Old September 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Wrangler

Thank you Shaun!

I have indeed "hung up the vest" and now get to watch other guys do it from a comfortable chair at the monitor, which basically means I can wear nicer shoes to work.
Old September 7th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I have indeed "hung up the vest"
You looked taller at Secret HQ this year at NAB so I figured it must be true... ;)
Old September 18th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Tourist

Haha! Thanks guys! Will for sure return to share my experiences...
Ryan McCormick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)