Feiyu g4 and gopro, c-mine at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 15th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Feiyu g4 and gopro, c-mine

I have been shooting on a few locations where there used to be coalmines, today I went to "c-mine", the mining buildings have all been restored and you can climb one of the towers for some nice views. Took only my Feiyu g4 and gopro with me.

I had quite some issues with the wifi connection today and the gopro acting up a bit, had to remove the battery once because it locked up and several times the app on my phone refused to connect with the gopro, I use my phone to control the gopro and to have a screen.

What pissed me off the most was that for whatever reason I accidentally selected 25p while I planned on shooting 2.7k 50p because I wanted to slow down my movement 50%, that helps a lot to smooth out the motion but unfortunately that didn't work out. My movements are too fast now for my liking but it will have to do because 25p doesn't slow down gracefully.

The feiyu g4 is not a very good stabilizer, I have quite some issues getting smooth motion from it, that's why 27k 50p is essential to get more useful shots. I have been trying the Nebula 4000 for a few days with my gh4 and that one was a lot better but was quite a handful to finetune. The feiyu you can use as-is.

This will be my last "motion" video, have been doing several in a row with these handheld gimbal stabilizers and feel the need to do something else, my next video will be back to basics, some nice tripod shots with my black magic pocket cam. :)

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Feiyu g4 and gopro, c-mine

I thought your video was great and the G4 seemed to do a great job, I've been using a friends G3 for quick shots when there's no time to setup the ronin and liked it so much I just ordered a G4, I think it's great for what it is.

Nice job.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Great stuff Noa, I love you opening shots, the music, the edit, nicely done. So the G4 is not that great? I think your results would suggest otherwise, my clients would be very happy with the results you obtained.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The footage has undergone quite some AE stabilizing, the tilt and panning smoothness is also not very good and often too jerky, I each time have to trash many shots that are not possible to stabilize so what you see in my films are a selection of the best shots of many trial and errors. A stabilizer like a Nebula 4000, when balanced right, will give you much smoother motion.

It's a fun small tool to have in your gearbag though and for a few steadicamshots at a wedding photoshoot it is usable.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Great stuff Noa, I love you opening shots, the music, the edit, nicely done. So the G4 is not that great? I think your results would suggest otherwise, my clients would be very happy with the results you obtained.
Couldn't agree more, :) I thought the end result was first class Noa.
Would love to be able to achieve something as good as that with my GoPro.
Thanks for the share.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)