FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 26th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Trustee

FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite.

I was thinking of buying a FeiYu FY-G4 for my GoPro3+ and just wondered, could you use a GoPro in Nebula 4000 Lite? if so, I might be able to use my RX10 with the Nebula as well.

I know you would have to balance the Nebula for each but just thinking out loud, ..as they say :)
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite.

Filmpower mentions on a few videos that a gopro and smartphone should be possible as well but I have not seen a video actually shot with a gopro and Nebula, best to ask the supplier if this will work.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
... best to ask the supplier if this will work.
Thank you Noa, good idea.
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Trustee

Well, I got an answer quicker than I thought. No, the GoPro is too light for the Nebula motors, it just won't work properly.
I can understand that when you think on it.

That's that sorted! :)

So, would the FeiYu FY-G4 be the best option at the moment for the GoPro?
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Was it filmpower that gave you that answer?
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Just asking because Filmpower has a few videos online where they say and I quote: "Nebula 4000 Lite 3-AXIS Stabilizer design for freedom motion shot.Adapt with Gopro and mobile ect under 1KG"
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
..."Nebula 4000 Lite 3-AXIS Stabilizer design for freedom motion shot.Adapt with Gopro and mobile ect under 1KG"
That's interesting Noa, I contacted Production Gear in the UK, it was them who told me.
Production Gear is listed as one of their global dealers.

I will try and contact FilmPower direct and see what they say.

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Major Player

After a bit of research I just bought z-one pro gimbal 3 axis at a bargain price £128. Works for me but then I'm not as fussy as some.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Donald, according to Amazon's price you did get a bargain, well done.
I see there is a new one called Z-1 Pround.
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Where did you get it, at that price Donald ?
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
After a bit of research I just bought z-one pro gimbal 3 axis at a bargain price £128. Works for me but then I'm not as fussy as some.
I shot this 4K video using the Z-One Pro and the GoPro Hero 4 Black:

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Mark

I notice that all your shots are either static or straight ahead .. Have you done any shots where you go around a subject in a 360 degree circle and suchlike stedicam shots? I sold my gimbal because it simply failed miserably when I went up to a wedding couple and then did a "roundie round" sweep of them .. it jumped and staggered badly. Also you are on a smooth ground surface .. I had massive issues walking on lumpy sand like a beach .. the unit overcompensated for my body motion even in a straight line ..it was fine on grass but didn't like uneven and soft surfaces like beach sand! I went back to a mechanical stedicam after that because I need camera movements that use circling of an object/person and obviously something that can handle uneven terrain

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #13
Inner Circle

You seem to forget quickly Chris :) You already said this before and then I said the problems you had was because you had a 2 axis gimbal, such a gimbal does not compensate for panning motion so every twitch coming from your wrists will be visible. With a 3 axis gimbal that motion is delayed and smoothed out so you can get more natural motion.

There is a big difference however between these super light Feiyu like stabilizers and a Nebula, don't know if it's the size, the weight or just because the motors do a better job at handling motion but I found the motion on a Nebula much more controllable and smoother then on my feiyu.

About walking motion on rough terrain, I also found the Nebula was able to smooth out vibrations in a better way then the Feiyu, it's not that it will take out these walking bumps like a steadicam arm can, it doesn't do that at all and you still need to bend your knees slightly and use your arm as a steadicam arm replacement but those very small gimbal stabilizers seem to have more problems with minor vibrations.
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post

So, would the FeiYu FY-G4 be the best option at the moment for the GoPro?
I was just thinking about it, if the size is not that important to you (since a Feiyu is much smaller and lighter then a Nebula) and if you just want to have one gimbal stabiliser you can use for a camera like a rx10 and a gopro you could add a rx10 onto the gimbal and mount the gopro on top of the rx10?
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Nope I didn't forget .. I sold the 2 axis unit and bought a 3 axis and still had the same issue but to a lesser extent especially on the 360 rotations ..it didn't judder so much .. Sadly that went back on eBay too!!!

I would suspect that a more robust unit would perform better like the Nebula with a heavier camera but my issues getting into the bigger gimbals was the weight!! I looked and a nice unit but at 1kg without the camera I figured my arms would die after 20 minutes so went back to a vest/sled arrangement. I believe that on the fancier models you can also program how much it should dampen adjustments which is good.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)