Removing footstep bounce in post - gimbal footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 28th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Removing footstep bounce in post - gimbal footage

Last August when I bought my first gimbal I shot some footage, while it's super smooth compared to my Glidecam, I still have a slight rhythmic up and down (almost like a wave) movement in my footage from walking while holding the Besteady gimbal, it's from my arms dipping slightly with each step. I have tried warp stabilizer in Premiere CS6 with no luck of removing the up/down bounce. Any other tricks I can try?

To me it looks like a combination of the footstep forward movement having speed pulses, as well as the up/down of my arms, maybe it's throwing off the warp stabilizer?

First half of the clip is no warp stabilizer, second half with the best options I could find (pictured below)

Attached Thumbnails
Removing footstep bounce in post - gimbal footage-gimbalbounce.png  
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Removing footstep bounce in post - gimbal footage

What I can recommend moving forward is to practice and eliminate the movement the best you can as you operate. That artifact is common with many stabilizers but it can be mostly eliminated with practice and learning the correct stepping and posture.

Do some reading on how to operate a steadicam. You'll see how much the operators techniques minimize the camera movements as much as the steadcam does. The same techniques will benefit your operation.
Old May 29th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think Nathan wants to know how to further smooth out his footage in post, that particular example he shows is virtually impossible to have a forward motion without any visible walking motion if you are not wearing a vest/arm. It's the racks left and right that are so close to him that make the bounce movement more noticeable.

I"m not a AE expert and use the warp stabiliser in AE often in it's auto settings but it must be possible to remove that bounce, I only think it will introduce other artifacts, you could make the end point (the racks at the far end) stay static so it doesn't move vertically but because the point of view changes on those side racks while walking with that up and down motion that might result in some other unwanted warping effects, where is Andrew Kramer when you need him? :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Removing it in post will require some tweaking with a bunch of keyframes.

Unless it is a location you can't get to again I would recommend practicing more and shooting it again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)