resume value of formal steadicam training/career paths/IATSE Local 600 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 14th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
See my article here.
Charles, I am curious to see the final result of the shoot. May I see it ?
Steve Watnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #17
Major Player

[QUOTE=Charles Papert]I honestly don't know what the demand is for a dedicated Steadicam operator in the DV world--with the explosion of low-cost rigs (ranging from serious devices such as the Flyer to homemade pipe rig assemblies) I can imagine that it doesn't command much of a premium.

Hey Charles,

I own/operate a flyer w/low mode. Day rates in my area can range from $500 to $1500 for an 8 hour day. Most of my work is for low budget t.v commercails, pilots, weddings, and documentaries. By far the biggest thing going for a flyer owner is local car commercails. Steadicam operating can be alot of fun when you get around the learning curve.

BTW-I'm saving up for a clipper 2 and would give anything for a chance to shadow or assist an operator like CP or Kyle Young on a real set. To me it's better than a workshop because you see what happens in real life situations.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
I honestly don't know what the demand is for a dedicated Steadicam operator in the DV world--with the explosion of low-cost rigs (ranging from serious devices such as the Flyer to homemade pipe rig assemblies) I can imagine that it doesn't command much of a premium.
I don't think there are too many folks making a sole living as a dedicated Steadicam operator with the DV format which is an interesting situation considering the quality and affordability of DV. You would think there would be a huge demand considering the shots that can be achieved with the advanced DV body rigs and most importantly, their affordability. As alot of us are aware, the DV market is notoriously synonymous with low/no budgets. Like John, I have a rig similar to the Flyer and have been able to get some nice shots. I charge $400/day for the rig and $400/day as an operator ($500/day as a DP/Operator). The reason that I only charge $400/day for the rig is that I can get near identical shots as the larger rigs but I can't fly larger camera systems so it wouldn't be logical to charge the same rate as a full size rig. Most of my clients wouldn't know what to compare it to so I could get away with it but I would really feel awkward charging $600/day for a DV rig. I guess it's like giving respect to the full size system. Now as far as making a living with a DV rig, I have had to sell the idea of Steadicam shots to some clients with demo video because they just don't know what it is but they sure do like the shots it can get and then just have to have it. So, in the DV market, I think you have to proactively sell this platform because it's not going to sell itself as easy as it might in the broadcast or film industry.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #19
Wrangler

I'm glad to hear both of you guys are making some decent money with your rigs, that's great (and I'm sure Steve is glad to hear it also!)

Steve, the Amex spots got pulled after a certain amount of time, I don't know of anywhere that is showing them at present. If you have a server I can upload them to you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)