V25 Pics and thoughts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Major Player

V25 Pics and thoughts

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would post some thoughts on the V25 now I have the complete system and post some pics of the new sled as there are a couple of changes since IBC.

The Vest:
Much like the previous V-series, very comfortable but now having the all important socket block adjustments, stops the arm flying away from you and means you can set it up to be in a more comfortable position. Great stuff

The Arm:
I'm absolutely loving the arm, extremely smooth, hardly any effort required to hold it at any height. Very well made and looks really cool

The Sled:
OK Just got the sled 2 weeks ago and it's just awesome. The V16 I had previously had served me well for a few years but the V25 is just in a different league. No tools adjustments for balance really makes it a helluva lot quicker and easier. Having everything wired through the post is great meaning no more cables flapping around while operating. The gimbal is brilliant, very smooth, doesn't feel like there's any friction, again very well made, now all machined as opposed to the punch and bent parts on the old V-series. Being able to independantly adjust the position of the monitor and batteries up and down and in and out make dynamic balance much easier.

Overall I'm extremely impressed with the V25, it has totally exceeded all my expectations, I think Glidecam have done an awesome Job with this rig. Kudos to Glidecam

Only one pic of the arm, that's not changed since IBC.

http://www.steeleworksproductions.com/V25/V25arm1.jpg
http://www.steeleworksproductions.com/V25/fullsled1.jpg
http://www.steeleworksproductions.com/V25/fullsled2.jpg
http://www.steeleworksproductions.co...ndcamstage.jpg
http://www.steeleworksproductions.com/V25/camstage.jpg
http://www.steeleworksproductions.com/V25/gimbal.jpg
http://www.steeleworksproductions.com/V25/monitor.jpg
http://www.steeleworksproductions.com/V25/lowerJbox.jpg

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Major Player

that is an awsome bit of kit John , i've had the V8 for a couple of years now and i love it so that must be amazing. I noticed the way the arm connects to the vest is very simmilar to the v8 and now i'm wondering if just the v25 arm would work with the v8 vest and sled?. Anyway enjoy =)

Andy.
Andy Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Andy,

The arm connector is the standard V series so it would work with the V8 sled and Vest. The arm is wonderful, you would notice a big difference in performance over the V8 arm. I actually traded my V16 for the V25 and glidecam gave me a good deal. The arm is expensive on it's own so if you're thinking about it ask them about an upgrade it might not cost you much more.

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham
that is an awsome bit of kit John , i've had the V8 for a couple of years now and i love it so that must be amazing. I noticed the way the arm connects to the vest is very simmilar to the v8 and now i'm wondering if just the v25 arm would work with the v8 vest and sled?. Anyway enjoy =)

Andy.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Major Player

at the moment i'm using the HD100e so i don't need the ability to hold a heavy camera yet but in the future when i'm ready to buy a varicam or something (yeah right!!) the v25 will be at the top of my list. Hey just noticed your a fellow Scot.. its damn cold aint it!!

Andy.
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I never noticed that you're just down the road, Yeah it is cold. You'll need to gime a call when you get that Varicam so I can have a go :-)

If you do ever think of an upgrade feel free to get in touch and at least you can try it out before spending any cash :-)

John.

Quote:
Hey just noticed your a fellow Scot.. its damn cold aint it!!

Andy.
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Just had a look at your website, I'm always up for working on filming projects, so if you ever find that DP'ing and steadicamming is too much just gime a shout :-)

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steele
I never noticed that you're just down the road, Yeah it is cold. You'll need to gime a call when you get that Varicam so I can have a go :-)

If you do ever think of an upgrade feel free to get in touch and at least you can try it out before spending any cash :-)

John.
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Major Player

your right DP'ing and steadicamming can get stressfull and sore on the back! I'll definitely keep you in mind. The next project as you probably saw on my site is "lottery" which is Rod our producers baby (i'm not so into the story but hey any experience is good experience).

The project i'm looking forward to is gonna be a psycological horror called "the barracks". i don't know if you have seen it but the dis-used army barracks just outside Lanark is all overgrown and looks like a down right scary place. Simon our Director and I are in the scripting stage and we've written some great fast tracking running shots using a rig i built that allows me to attach the steadicam to a small trailer pulled by a quad bike.

If we need a steadicam operator i'll give you a shout, although it would most likely be unpaid with the exception of food and travel which we pay for everyone on a shoot. Also we own all our own equipment :lights, cameras, sound equip ie DAT recorder and 6 channel mixer, steadicam and few other things of my own design.... everything a growing boy needs!

Happy shooting =)
Andy.
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Major Player

Don't worry Andy I don't mind working for food, all my fuel costs are covered by my main Job so I'm even cheaper :-) I've not seen the barracks at Lanark, sounds cool though.

John.

Quote:
your right DP'ing and steadicamming can get stressfull and sore on the back! I'll definitely keep you in mind. The next project as you probably saw on my site is "lottery" which is Rod our producers baby (i'm not so into the story but hey any experience is good experience).

The project i'm looking forward to is gonna be a psycological horror called "the barracks". i don't know if you have seen it but the dis-used army barracks just outside Lanark is all overgrown and looks like a down right scary place. Simon our Director and I are in the scripting stage and we've written some great fast tracking running shots using a rig i built that allows me to attach the steadicam to a small trailer pulled by a quad bike.

If we need a steadicam operator i'll give you a shout, although it would most likely be unpaid with the exception of food and travel which we pay for everyone on a shoot. Also we own all our own equipment :lights, cameras, sound equip ie DAT recorder and 6 channel mixer, steadicam and few other things of my own design.... everything a growing boy needs!

Happy shooting =)
Andy.
John Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)