What's a good stabilizer for this camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Trustee

What's a good stabilizer for this camera?

What’s a good stabilizer for the HD100? What are you using with it? I would think a stabilizer that works with the XL2 like the Glidecam 4000 would also work with the HD100? I’m shopping for one and would like to get some opinions. But I would like to stay within $1500-2000 if possible. Thanks guys.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm just starting to use it with the Glidecam Smooth Shooter and the 4000 pro. I have mine loaded up with rails and matte box and larger battery so it is a heavy rig.

So far with just one evening of experimenting I have it tracking pretty good, I'm sure after more practice it will be excellent. For the price the Smooth Shooter/4000 Pro combo seems a great fit for the HD100.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Tim. Is the Smooth Shooter/4000 Pro the most affordable solution for the HD100?
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Michael: The flyer

Hi Michael,

I have the flyer its a dream. not the cheapest but a first class low end rig. The heavier you fly it the better too.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Greg but I can't really afford the Flyer right now. I'm trying to stay as affordable as possible for now. It seems my only 2 options are Smooth Shooter and Magiqcam, unless I can find an older used V-8, but is it even worth it?
If anybody has any other suggestions besides the SS and Magiqcam please let me know.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hi Tim

I have XL2 and Glidecam 4000, but I don't have smooth shooter yet.
My question is - how heavy is XL2 when you use Smooth Shooter?
And how do you find balancing glaidecam - Is it very timeconsuming to balance it?
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Michael,
I was interested in Scott Hays' barely used, fully loaded Glidecam V-20 in the classifieds, but after some more thought and research, I'm leaning toward the Smooth Shooter/4000 Pro. With the money I'll save, I'm thinking I'll pick up the Canon Wide 3:1 lens, too. Then, it's practice time.
Good luck.
- Jim
Jim Morlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #8
Trustee

Yeah Jim considering the price the used V-20 is selling for and the fact the V-20 is not a dual action arm just like the Smooth Shooter isn't, it seems the only advantage would be the ability to carry more weight, which for me doesn't really matter now as the HD100 is light enough for the Smooth Shooter. At the double of the price that used V-20 is not attractive at all for me. I'm sure the seller must be selling to buy the new V-25, which I heard is much improved.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)