Glidecam 4000 with a VX2100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Glidecam 4000 with a VX2100?

Anyone used a Glidecam 4000 with the smaller cameras, such as the VX2100?

I'm buying an XL1s and instead of buying the Glidecam 2000 and 4000, I was wondering how well the 4000 is going to work with my VX2100?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

I hate to bring this back up, but can anyone offer some info?
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Nick

did you try emailing glidecam ?
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

I always overlook the obvious. I'll give that a try

Thanks
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Nick,

The VX2100 will work fine with the 4000. You'll have a sore arm if you shoot for very long but the 4000 will handle the weight easily.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Well, as far as wrist/forearm support, what about the "forearm brace" they sell for this series of Glidecam. Have you used one? Does it help with fatigue?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Wrangler

What are your expectations from the Glidecam? I have the 2000 and have used it with my little 2 pound PDX-10. Even with a camera that small I don't think I could use it for more than maybe a minute. Recently I tried it with my Z1; I was limited to a much shorter time with that size camera. I'd question whether you could do anything very serious using a handheld stabilizer with a camera as big and heavy as the XL1s. Unless you're really strong I think you'll only be able to shoot a few seconds at a time.

How much does your camera weigh? Find something that weighs twice that much, then hold it with your arm outstretched at a 45 degree angle and see how quickly you become fatigued. That will give you some idea what it will be like.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Boyd, I've never actually used one of these, and no local store has one to try. My XL1s has an MA-200 and the CH-910 dual battery holder/charger with 2 BP-945 batteries, so it weighs a good bit more than "stock." I guess I will have to look into some type of vest system... I was just looking for lowest cost, but if you say I won't be able to support it for more than a few minutes, it may not be useful at all to me.
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm not a huge fan of the Glidecam.

The great things about the Glidecam is that it is beefy and strong and built like a tank.

The negative aspect is that the rig itself its pretty heavy and that is *before* you put a camera on it.

It's real a pain to fine tune fore and aft balance on the Glidecam....because, you have to loosen four thumbscrews and try to slide the whole stage just a hair forward and back to dial it in. [And being in balance could mean just a hair difference]. Too much, too little...
[I'm a Steadicam JR fan--so I'm biased.]

If you add a quick release plate, you also end up adding more weight to the rig...which itself is pretty 'heavy'--and with the camera mounted on it...you are getting up there.[Your arms will start to tremble under the weight with the heavier cam]

The Steadicam JR will work with the VX-1000, but with weights...but to me---the ultimate handheld stabilizer is the new Merlin...it should work wonders with your cam.[Because the Merlin is supposed to be light]

It's easy to use, folds up and fine tuning your balance is easy due to the micrometer adjustments on the Merlin/JR.

One of the pluses the of Merlin/JR is that you hold it directly below the camera, this should help with the weight issue, and should allow you lots of freedom in movement.

Go to Tiffen and download the Merlin manual...you will see what I mean.

You won't need a vest/arm to operate this.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
if you say I won't be able to support it for more than a few minutes, it may not be useful at all to me.
Actually, I'm thinking "seconds" and not "minutes"....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Major Player

The Merlin looks like a great alternative to the Glidecam. A little more pricey than the Glidecam, but it looks like its more comfortable. John, have you actually used a Merlin? Or has anyone used one of these?
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #12
Major Player

It is basically a lighter, stronger JR.

The principles and adjustments are exactly the same as the JR.

But because it is lighter/stronger/more rigid...you can add enough counterweight to support the heavier cams.

The JR is pushing it, if you add more weight.

[Something about g-forces you can generate when you 'whip' that the thing around violently.]

I will treat myself to a Merlin, but not yet...

One of the best things of getting the JR or the Merlin, is you have a great instruction video/VHS/dvd on how to set up and use the thing.

One more thing...do not get the "Steadytracker" [in my opinion]...that thing will be strong enough to support your camera--but since it does NOT have a gimble...your wrist becomes the gimble...and it becomes very painful to use.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #13
Major Player

Merlin won't fly an XL series camera.

For an XL1 with the MA200 and the dual battery holder runnign at full load, i'd definatly recomend the Steadicam Flyer.
I'm not even sure if the Smooth shooter can handle that load without trouble. - Let alone anyone's own arm!

- Mikko
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #14
Major Player

Yea the XL1 with all the extras is pretty heavy, but it works great for shoulder use. If I was going to use the XL for the steadicam, I would take those extras off, or jsut use the VX2100 for the shots as it would probably be easier to handle
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #15
Major Player

Nick,

You know that it's hard to frame a steadicam shot using an XL1 without adding an external monitor. We flew one for a customer and found that the eyepiece had to be moved to the right side and still it wasn't easy to see.

Unless you have a full body mounted rig the XL1 isn't the best choice in cameras for handheld anything other than shoulder mounted. You can use the 2100 for a short time but it will "get to you" eventually.

The "forearm brace" made by Glidecam does help the wrist but I found it transfers the weight to the shoulder.

A simple help is to get a tennis elbow brace made by ACE or whomever and put it on the arm doing the holding (of course). It seems to help me a lot when I shoot with my sled off my arm support for short clips.

I have tried out the JR and the Merlin. The Merlin is an engineering wonder and fits the bill for the shorter jobs or with smaller cameras. Weight is weight.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)