Confused Newbie! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Confused Newbie!

I am about to buy a "steadicam" to use with my Sony HVR-Z1. It will be used sporadically for short periods of time. So I am looking at the lower priced solutions.
At first I narrowed my choice down to the Steadicam Merlin.
But then I got confused by different advice I got.
1) The Merlin has a range of 0.5-5.0 lbs
2) My Z1 plus battery weigh in about 5.5 lbs.
3) That is outside of the range. (Also I have been told that the camera should weigh in about the middle of the steadicam's range for best results)
4)So although the Merlin is suggested as a possible steadicam for the Z1 here in Japan - it seems to be too heavy for it?!?

As a second choice I have been looking at the HandymanSet-S. This would give me a range which puts the Z1 in the middle of the scale.

Can any of you give me some advice as to the suitability of the Merlin?
It would be nice to hear from anyone who is actually using a setup with a Merlin and a Z1.
Douglas R. Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #2
Major Player

What battery are you using?

The Z1 is towards the top end of the Merlin's capcity, but it will fly just fine in most configurations.

Merlin's "top" supported camera weigth is actually about 5.4lbs - that's *about* the max it'll hold without adding weight to the bottom, which isn't recomended.
But that varies depeding on the shape of the camera (how high the center of mass is). The Z1 should work just fine - the FX1 flies on it with no problem at all, Z1 shoudl be the same.

I haven't been very happy with the products from ABC, their bigger Handyman rigs are some of the worst I've tried.

- Mikko
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Confused

Thanks for the respose, Mikko

I am using a NP-F970 battery (Total weight for the set-up is about 5.73 lbs)
I guess I could get an NP-570 to use when I use the Merlin maybe that your bring the total weight down to a reasonable level.

The Z1 is about 4 oz heavier than the FX1.

Maybe that is the answer to my question.....smile..... I have both a Z1 and an FX1 - so I should use the FX1 with an NP-570 battery when I want to use the Merlin!
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Major Player

There you go! AS always, it's a good idea to use as light a camera on any handheld stabilizer. As you know, FX1 and Z1 produce an practically identical image, so use the lighter FX1 on the Merlin and leave the Z1 for other stuff! :-)

- Mikko

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)