Glidecam knockoffs from Ebay. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam knockoffs from Ebay.

Im planning to buy a glidecam for my dvx100 but I am on a tight budget. I saw this glidecam look-a-like on ebay and it seems fairly affordable. I was wondering if you guys have used one of these?

Any opinions?
Attached Images

Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

By the way the attachment above is the picture in ebay.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

you get what you pay for. i firmly believe in that.
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,

I'm also in a similar position as you, there is so much products out there, im thinking of saving a little more and then going for something more up market. Its an investment i'd also advise you, but then again if you buy it, let me know how it comes along

Regards
Ismail
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismail Aslam
Its an investment i'd also advise you, but then again if you buy it, let me know how it comes along

Regards
Ismail
I have seen quite few people which initially only willing to pay little money, but end up paying around US$10,000 or more.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead
I have seen quite few people which initially only willing to pay little money, but end up paying around US$10,000 or more.
Thats quiet alot, way out of my budget. Maybe looking at something way cheaper as a student. $500 - $800 maybe.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismail Aslam
Thats quiet alot, way out of my budget. Maybe looking at something way cheaper as a student. $500 - $800 maybe.
I agree too. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Billy, the guy that's selling it wouldn't happen to be called "DV-shop23" shipping from india would it?. If so I can at least tell you that they seem to be pretty reliable....I just bought support rods from them and they arrived in scotland within 6 days which is pretty good considering its from India and the rods were good quality, I've had items take longer to arrive from 20 miles away.

Andy.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Funny how people copy the copycats isn't it?

You always get what you pay for, that especially goes for stabilizers.

Ismail, if your camera is under 5.5lb (including the DVX) then my recomentation in for under $800 is the Steadicam Merlin.

- Mikko
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #10
Trustee

Maybe Glidecams are just overpriced

It's easy to say you get what you pay for, but it seems to me that much of what is sold in our industry is ridiculously overpriced, including stabilzers, lighting, follow-focus attachments, and the outrageous matte box.

Maybe a little bit of competition and an open-minded analysis of these producst is just what our industry needs. Aren't you tired of overpaying? I know I am.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham
Billy, the guy that's selling it wouldn't happen to be called "DV-shop23" shipping from india would it?. If so I can at least tell you that they seem to be pretty reliable....I just bought support rods from them and they arrived in scotland within 6 days which is pretty good considering its from India and the rods were good quality, I've had items take longer to arrive from 20 miles away.

Andy.
it is ..I bought a support harness for my DVX..it was a good product, but takes time to wear it. It was not suitable for weddings. Probably perfect for documentaries. But like people said, you get what you paid for. It was considerably cheap but seems to be working fine
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
Funny how people copy the copycats isn't it?

You always get what you pay for, that especially goes for stabilizers.

Ismail, if your camera is under 5.5lb (including the DVX) then my recomentation in for under $800 is the Steadicam Merlin.

- Mikko
Hi Mikko,

Im not sure, what weight the pd170 is, is there a link for the steadicam you have mentioned?
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Billy,

If you are going to shoot for more than a couple of minutes at a time you better look into a support system. Trust me on this...

I have seen the above mentioned stabilizers but they are knock-offs of the older Glidecams as the newer Glidecam 2000 and 4000 Pro's have an improved yoke.

Terry
Indicam

Hi Leigh and Mikko!

Mikko - It was great getting to meet you at NAB. Thanks for your help.

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Still Motion

First let me say that I don't have nearly the same background or experience as many of the posters in this thread so far.

With that said, I shoot with an ebay knock-off, and have been for the past 16 months. We shoot all weddings with it and I probably have it out for 3-4 hours a week with great results (obviously a biased opinion). I also own a magiqcam, so I do have some experience with stabilizers and I have also owned the glidecam 1000-2000- and 4000.

From my experience, I firmly disagree in the 'you get what you pay for'. I actually worked with the maker of my handheld stabilizer to implement a bogen monopod into the design and it is much more functional than a glidecam, in my opinion and in the opinion of 3 to 4 others who have used the glidecam and my unit.

I would suggest you be careful who you buy from and what your getting. You can get some nice units at great prices, but there also some 'you get what you pay for' units out there.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Patrick,

Well said. There are some systems out there which offer a good value at a good price. There are others which claim to work as well as the more expensive systems. After looking at their design..No way.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com

Last edited by Terry Thompson; May 26th, 2006 at 09:21 PM.
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)