Glidecam 2000 v's 4000 for XL1/XL H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 25th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam 2000 v's 4000 for XL1/XL H1

Just wanted to know if anyone is using the Glidecam 2000 with the XL1/XL H1?

Another question what is the difference between the Glidecam 2000 and 4000?

Since looking at Glidecam's website they seem to be identical.
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Major Player

you definitely want the glidecam 4000 for the canon Xl's. The 4000 simply is meant for heavier cameras such as those, while the 2000 is for smaller form factors such as the VX/PD/DVX/GL's , etc.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I would SERIOUSLY recomend against using any handheld rig for a camera as heavy as the XL1/2/H1. You are putting some massive strain on your wrist and risking injusry.

Once you go over 6lbs, a rig with an arm becomes almost a must. And up at the weight of the XL1, a handheld rig will become useless prety darn quickly.

Look into a rig with an arm designed for bigger cameras.

- Mikko
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Simon,

I'll have to second Mikko. If there is anyone who will tell you that you can do significant work with a handheld 4000 and XL1 either hasn't used one or is Hercules. If you will be doing any shots over 1 minute you will want and need a support system. It makes all the difference in the world.

The Smooth Shooter can hold the weight you are talking about with two springs.

Get the 4000 and start practicing. Next, start saving your money if you're serious about stabilization. It is worth the journey.

Tery
Indicam

Hey Mikko,

How's Alaska? It's in the 100s here in N. California this past week. I could use the cooler climate you're enjoying.

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

I am based in France.
I will most probably go the 4000 then. I am shooting a short drama of mine in the next couple of mths and need something like the 4000. I have the smooth shooter on my wish list but I'll first get the 4000 and play around to get comfortabe before laying the biggers bucks down for the smooth shooter.
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #6
Major Player

These guys know what they're talking about. I had a 4000 for about 2 days before I realized no way Jose. I had a 4" lcd and battery pack and I couldn't make it down the hall before my arm started shaking. Save your money and your arm shoot with OIS or at the very least see if Glidecam is still making the bodypod, you'll need it trust me. Disclaimer: if you can curl 200lbs or more disregard this post.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #7
Wrangler

I'll add my voice to the others... what are you expecting from the Glidecam? I have a 2000 and when used with my little 2 pound PDX-10 I could only shoot for very short intervals of maybe a minute or two. I've tried it with my Z1 and can't even acheive that. With a camera as large and heavy as the XL series I think you'll just be wasting your money. It will be too awkward to hold for more than a few seconds at a time.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm using glidecam 4000 with the smooth shooter west for the XL H1. Really nice (even if I'm not an operator). I can not use the stick without support anyway. Actually are my back shouting for mercy after an hour with the west!
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Amazing

I've been a member for a year or two and I've never seen such unanimity concerning a product. Glidecam take note, if I had enough time/inclination to be a powerlifter, I problably wouldn't have time/inclination to be a videodork. However, their products (2k 4k) are exceptionally well made and look great albeit not well thought out.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #10
Major Player

Jason,

To come to Glidecam's defense (though they don't need it), they do the job they were intended to do and you can get some great shots while using one of them. For the bigger cameras you will need a support system. You are also correct in that there are some things that could be improved upon in the sleds and that's why we made our PILOT sled. It holds heavier cameras like the 4000 does but will also balance and fly 1/2 pound cameras. (Pictures to follow)

The 2000, 4000, and PILOT all have the same sized handles so the Smooth Shooter can hold our PILOT sled and our support system can hold either the 2000 or 4000 sled.

Attached are a couple of pictures of a balanced 1/2 pound (very small) camera...

With this small video camera I am able to shoot a lot longer because there is so little weight involved. Anything much bigger would need counterweights on the bottom plate and much more effort to hold it. If we're talking professional video then I would of course use the support vest and arm because of the sled and camera combined weight

I wish I could show the video from this small camera as it looks fairly good but it's an .AVI file.

By the way-for those who don't know-the Bodypod is for static (not moving)shots . The Forearm Brace will help in the moving shots for any who can't affort a support system......Yet. It will give you some extra shooting time but not like a support arm will.

Sorry for rambling. It's 12:41 am.

Tery
Indicam
Attached Thumbnails
Glidecam 2000 v's 4000 for XL1/XL H1-small-camera1.jpg   Glidecam 2000 v's 4000 for XL1/XL H1-small-camera2.jpg  

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Varner
I've been a member for a year or two and I've never seen such unanimity concerning a product. Glidecam take note
I think you are being a little harsh on Glidecam. The point is that you need to understand your own limits and the limits of handheld stabilizers in general. Given that understanding the 2000 and 4000 can be useful for certain applications. Use the search feature here to find plenty of helpful posts on this topic (in particular, search for posts by Charles Papert :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I just wanted to jump in and add my two cents. I have shot hand held with an XL2 using the flowpod and it was very difficult to get long continues smooth shots. I think part of the problem with the canon, besides the camera's weight, is the odd center of gravity. It makes balancing it nearly impossible.

Simon I don't know what type of shots you are trying for; but, could you attain the same look if you used a dolly system? They can be built for a low cost and you could set the rest of the money aside for a future purchase of a better steady cam.
Walter J Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)