DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Indicam review continued (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/73504-indicam-review-continued.html)

Sean Seah September 2nd, 2006 09:34 PM

Nice picts Javier! The rig looks pretty ok on u. Wats the weight of yr cam? The Sony FX that I have is prob heavier.. Is the string tension tight enuf for u?

BTW, I noticed Terry just updated his website. COOL. The 2 videos there r good but I would appreciate a bit of running for the rig video. I'm also curious why was the sled handle designed straight instead of a curved? I have a varizoom flowpod and the striaght handle gets into some problems at times. I guess I now need to know which spring is good for the FX1.

Javier Perez September 2nd, 2006 10:11 PM

Well...this is actually first time I use it....But I am planning on using it for weddings and things of that nature...Let me tell you I was going over the film today and it is increadible how steady those shots where especialy suprised me on the shots I was walking over the sand...The more and more I use this product the happier I am I bought it...Do you own one Peter?

Responce to sean:
Well as far as the weight goes it can hold alot...I set it to a point where It wasn't set to its full potential and it was throwing the camara up in the air, I had to force it down...I now have it set to where I just need to pull it up slightly(gave me best results after testing a few times)..By the way this was the way terry told me to set it and he was dead on...I just wanted to test it for myself...I think right now with all the things I put on it I am pushing maybe 5-7 pounds...

Sean Seah September 3rd, 2006 01:27 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like the indicam is truely worth considering. Like u, I plan to use it for weddings. 2 arms should be better than one!

Peter Chung September 3rd, 2006 06:28 AM

Javier,

I only own the PILOT sled, not the vest and arm system.

I am reluctant to buy the vest and arm system because I don't want to look obtrusive or intimidating with all that gear on during a wedding. I've been practicing a lot with the sled and have been getting better and strengthening my muscles for it.

Also, I'm wondering, maybe Terry would be better to ask, but is there any way to replace the backpack with something less "bulgy"? I like the idea that you have a built-in carrying case but, again, I like to be as "invisible" as possible and not draw attention while filming weddings. Besides, I don't know how I would look wearing a suit with a backpack... ;)

Nevertheless, I do have to say again how awesome Terry is and how great he is with customer service and follow up. Whenever I have any questions, I usually get a quick response by email or a friendly phone call from Terry. He is obviously always trying to improve his invention and always tries to be helpful. If you have any doubts or questions about Terry or the Indicam, give him a call and you will be talking to one of the friendliest and most helpful people :)

Javier Perez September 3rd, 2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah
Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like the indicam is truely worth considering. Like u, I plan to use it for weddings. 2 arms should be better than one!

Yes two arms are defenatly better than one...I'll try to post some of the video I did that day...

Peter Chung September 3rd, 2006 12:46 PM

Javier,

I am looking forward to seeing your footage, too :)

Sean Seah September 3rd, 2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier Perez
Yes two arms are defenatly better than one...I'll try to post some of the video I did that day...

Ooh that would be GREAT! Thanks again..

Terry Thompson September 4th, 2006 12:11 AM

Javier, Perer, and Sean,

My ears are burning.
Thanks for the pictures and kind words.

If you checked the website lately you'll have noticed a couple of new pictures up there. One is the PILOT with the HVX200 and the other is with the XL2. Yes, we finally found an XL2 and it wasn't that far away. It was just very hard to find!

HVX200...
My steadicam friend tried the PILOT out with his HVX200 and said it was "perfect" for his camera. Here is part of his email...
++++++
"I was very impressed with the production model of the Indicam. I believe Indicam is ready for the world stage and yes I am going to want one for my HVX200."
++++++
He's been a steadicam operator for over 20 years so his encouragement means a lot.

XL2...
I was able to balance an XL2 with a little trouble as the camera is very front heavy but once balanced it worked great. It will be a very stable camera to work with due to the mass involved.

Peter,

The backpack can be compressed so it will be less bulky and in regards to the other point, to be less obtrusive wear dark clothes. You probably know that already. Also, you can use the unit handheld for the real sensitive shots but mounted on the arm system for all the rest.

Sean,

The straight handle is so that it can be used handheld without the support system if needed but also can have the "High Shot" incorporated. That gives you an extra 12-18 inches of camera height. The handle doesn't get in the way but has been a plus I believe. If it was a problem, I would have changed it as I don't want something out there that doesn't really work great.

Did I cover all the questions? Hope so.

Smooth Shooting,

Terry
Indicam

Yasser Kassana September 12th, 2006 09:55 AM

Javier and Terry some good work there boys, might buy one of these. Now with this new 'dual' arm thing that can hold up to 15lbs, does that means lets just argue here - that with an XLh1 with a letusxl adapter(meaning the standard lens comes off, to loose weight) that I might be able to fly this thing?

Terry Thompson September 13th, 2006 01:42 AM

Yasser,

It's 12:27 in the early morning and we're just getting around to checking this forum. What a day!

We just had a bunch of parts welded so now it's off to the powder coaters and then assembly. Still waiting on the machinest to do more gimbals though. He has only one of his three machines working presently.

Now to the question...

We've just revamped our main web page which includes a shot of the PILOT flying a Canon XL2. If your XLh1 is anywhere around that weight then we're in business.

We just acquired a Sony HVR-Z1U to add to our collection of cameras. It looks to be a beauty. The new HD cameras are something to behold!

If you can weigh your camera and let us know what you find out we can tell you if we can fly it. I believe we can. (If I were a salesman I'ld say; "No problem".

Terry
Indicam

Matt Davis September 13th, 2006 07:22 AM

DJ over left shoulder for Z1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Thompson
We just acquired a Sony HVR-Z1U to add to our collection of cameras. It looks to be a beauty. The new HD cameras are something to behold!

As are the images!

But to business.

Lets say I want to do a Don Juan on my Indicam equipped Z1; for the record, the Z1 screen flops out to the operator's left side and in this case the operator (me) is right handed.

So I've set up to DJ, and the camera is pointing over my right shoulder - but the screen is now on the far side, hidden by the handle, built-in mic (and external mic on the near side sometimes).

However, I note that there's an optional left side mount.

Can the Indicam jacket be ampidexterous, so the vest has both left and right side mounts on at the same time? Or is it a 'South-paw special' requiring two jackets?

Yasser Kassana September 13th, 2006 09:15 AM

Thanks for the reply Terry, Kudos to the customer service, you've already done half the deal.

Terry Thompson September 13th, 2006 04:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Matt,

I just sent you and email with some pictures but I'll post them here as well.

When I set up for a Don Juan (DJ) shot I flip the monitor to it's mirror mode and shoot looking forward at the monitor (see DJ & Z1Ua) or in regular mode looking over my shoulder (see DJ & Z1Ub).

The arm flips to the left (goofy) side by undoing the receiver bar bolts and flipping the bar. Now the receiver is on the left side. I've never shot that way so it's strange to me just like a left handed guitar. I encourage steadicam beginners to shoot in standard configuration as it saves on a number of problems.

The last picture (see Compressed pack & Z1U) shows the backpack / vest in it's compressed mode. Some have asked about this as they want to be as "thin" as possible. I think Peter is one of them.

Smooth Shooting,

Terry
Indicam

Peter Chung September 14th, 2006 11:56 AM

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the pictures :) What video light are you using on that Z1U? That last image attachment looks like it is an LED light?

Just noticed that the backpacks have different colors in different pictures. Do you get to choose what colors you want? :)

Terry Thompson September 14th, 2006 02:09 PM

Peter,

You are real great at noticing details. I'm impressed. I thought I was one of the only ones who paid attention to stuff like that.

It is a LED light on the Z1U and it really helps out in low light situations. It goes for 50 hours (supposedly) on three AAA batteries with all 9 LEDs on. It's more center focused than I want so I'm going to see if I can make some changes. I might even market them on my website.

The backpacks I order come in subdued colors for obvious reasons but they do have some color to them i.e. dark blue, dark green, dark gray, and straight black. I can't get only solid black at the present time although that is what I would really like to have.

If I have a color (or lack of) in stock then you can choose which one you want if that's important.

Terry
Indicam