what's the right stabilizer for weddings (and future use)? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:23 PM   #16
Major Player

Mikko,

Are you back in Finland again? How was Alaska?

As of late I have seen quite a few movies where the steadicam was the major player. I have also noticed it being used for cutaways i.e. "Pirates of the C."
Is funny how you get to looking for steadicam shots when you use one. Occasionally it's hard to tell the difference at the beginning of a shot whether it's a dolly, steadicam, or crane shot. You can usually figure it out though a little ways into it.

Wedding wise, I agree with the walk in and walk out for the actual wedding but I use my rig extensively before the ceremony and during the reception. I especially like the "High Shot" for the dances. It gives a nice perspective.

All the best,

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #17
Major Player

I don't know if it's completely accurate to say the steadicam shots are "b roll" shots.

However, steadicam footage should be used sparingly and to give a certain effect in order to maximize its impact. If all you use is steadicam footage, it's no longer a "money shot."

I use my PILOT (sled only) extensively during the prep but I'm not always moving around with it. It gives me a steadier shot than going completely handheld since most bridal preps are in tight quarters. I get various angles and get creative shots without having to make it look like a steadicam shot all the time. It mixes up the footage and doesn't make it monotonous to continually see sweeping footage, etc, which may lead to sea-sickness for the viewer ;)

So use a stabilizer, but sparingly, for greater effect and impact. And don't just use steadicam footage because you think it's cool or because you can.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #18
Major Player

Here here! Great post Peter!

And just to clarify, I said B-camera, not B-roll. I'm not saying that Steadicam shots are secondary shots, but that a Steadicam is normally a secondary camera to be used, as Peter perfectly commented, sparingly alongside 'regular' shots.

- Mikko
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Peter for being a great contributer to this forum.

Terry
Indicam

P.S. We just finished our two day shooting schedule on "Stabilizer Basics". Now the fun begins...editing.

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)