Flyer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 31st, 2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flyer

Is there any one out there who thinks the flyer could support a XDCAM 350? or should I really step up to the plate and get the Archer. Which is really not in my price point.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Matthew,

If you visit my website www.smootharm.com, you will see SmoothArm is holding a sony xd camera. The xd camera was around 8kg and SmoothArm will sit comfortably in your price point, actually way below your $6000 price point.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:34 AM   #3
Wrangler

I believe the 350 with lens and battery clocks in at around 18 lbs which is overweight for the Flyer.

I haven't flown Leigh's rig; there are certainly a number of rigs around which can fly this weight of camera for less money than the Tiffen systems. However the isolation and performance of the Tiffen arms (both the Flyer and G50) are in a class of their own.

It all has to do with one's expectations of the gear. For many "casual" operators, the less expensive rigs will be perfectly satisfactory. The Tiffen rigs represent a level of performance that approaches the full-size rigs and are priced accordingly.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Charles,
I think it should work :

Maybe you can use the Camera and not a very big lens on it.
The Camera is rated :
Weight 8.7 lbs (3.9 kg)
The Lens is for example rated :
Weight Fujinon HD lens XS13X3.3RM 4.3 lbs (1.9 kg)

So maybe with a small battery on the back (for extra ease to balance), no viewfinder.. it should work fine on the Flyer. I have flown a DSR400 DVCAM on the Flyer with a Fujinon S20 lens.

2 heavy bats on the bottom of the Flyer, gimbal close to the stage and a very nice balance. Arm was set about 85 % of capacity..

But be carefull !!
Don't overweight the system.

Best, Erik
Erik Rene Brul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Major Player

It flies fine. A guy at the workshop had a 350 with him with the Canon higher-end 1/2" lens. He used 1x E10s battery on the inside batt. mount and 2xE10's on the back batt mount to get enough weight below the gimbal. The camera was powered off the sled, and it flew perfectly.

Today I flew an SDX-900 just fine with PLENTY of room on the gimbal and only 2 batteries below (plus my wevi).

While the sled may only balance to 15lb, I am pretty sure the arm is conservatively rated. I know Tiffen likes to keep a margin of safety, but all of their arms carry more than they say they can. Even so, with the sdx and a Canon J17 lens on top, it's almost exactly the same weight as the 350, and it felt great. I didn't have focus gear on there but I know for a fact it would have been fine.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)