HELP! anyone with Velbon D600 & Glidecam 2000?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 11th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #1
Major Player

HELP! anyone with Velbon D600 & Glidecam 2000??

Hi there,

I'm desperate to be able to quickly move my sony FX1e camcorder from my Velbon D600 tripod to the glidecam 2000, for wedding videography purposes!!

i don't know much about quick release adapters, esp. which one i need to connect to the metal plate of the glidecam!?

anyone with hints/tips/suggestions/experience???

cheers
Richard
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Richard,

What you will need is the bottom plate where the quick release camera plate hooks into. I did a search on the internet and couldn't find where it is available. The link below shows the top part of the quick release (hooks into the camera) but you need the bottom part. The correct bottom mount would then connect into the Glidecam camera stage so you could transfer the camera from the tripod to the Glidecam and back when needed.

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID20255...ase-Plate.aspx

Maybe a more thorough search on your part would be sucessfull. B&H Photo might be of some help. You can always try.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks so much terry for your reply

i have the top part of the quick release but not the bottom (which you mention)

is it this that i need?
http://www.velbon-tripod.com/quick_shoe.htm
(the base, at the bottom of the page)

what confuses me, is how i permanently attach this base to the glidecam plate??

cheers
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I was in the same situation to you richard, what I did was to buy 2 of the Manfrotto 577 quick release adapters £36.99 each.

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/Manfrotto...D=1807&tabID=3

and attach the bases to the glidecam and the tripod. with one top plate left permenatly to the camera.

These work really well and allow fast changes without adjusting anything.

P.S they attach on the bottom, buy using the original 1/4" screw that you have on the tripod head and a suitable 1/4" or 3/8" screw through the base plate of the glidecam. Just as if you were attaching the camera direct.

Mike
Mike Hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use this with my Glidecam 2000:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Richard,

As others have said, you attach the bottom quick release shoe like you would the camera. It comes in from the bottom and holds the shoe solid. Then you put the quick release plate on the camera. Next you connect the camera to the Glidecam and balance as necessary.

This allows you to take off the camera without having to lose the balance you achieved. Before, you had to remove the camera from the Glidecam camera stage by loosening the screws which completly throws off the balance. When you move the camera from the tripod to the Glidecam it will be "mostly" in balance. I say "mostly" as forces from the Twighlight Zone always seem to get involved somehow and you will probably need to do a quick final balance.

The attached picture is our quick release shoe mounted to our camera stage. This is similar to what you will do. We use the Manfrotto 577 like Mike.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Indicam
Attached Images

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Major Player

thank you so much for your really helpful replies...i am definitely looking into that manfrotto 577 now, and it definitely helps to know its been tried and tested by the experts!!

a friend has just sent me an additional link....do any of you think this might be suitable?? (as it's that little bit cheaper...bonus!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hakuba-Quick-R...eNameZWD1VQQcm

thanks once again!
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Looks a little bit lightly built for a camcorder, more suitable for a photo camera or small DV, but may be okay. I would personally stick with the branded and far more "Field Tested" Manfrotto.
These quick releases are used day in day out and give good real world use/wear...you get what you pay for..??

If you looking to save a little the smaller 323 maybe enough for your FX1 camcorder..?

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/Manfrotto...D=2437&tabID=3

this model was too small for my XL2.

But again its entirely upto you, as this ebay unit is far cheaper.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield
thank you so much for your really helpful replies...i am definitely looking into that manfrotto 577 now, and it definitely helps to know its been tried and tested by the experts!!

a friend has just sent me an additional link....do any of you think this might be suitable?? (as it's that little bit cheaper...bonus!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hakuba-Quick-R...eNameZWD1VQQcm

thanks once again!
Mike Hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Major Player

again, thanks so much Mike, Terry and Rick....i will definitely take this advice on board

the manfrotto 577 is the reason why my girlfriend will now get less presents this xmas :)
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Richard,

We talked about this before in email, and I just noticed your post here.

Before you spend the money on the Manfrotto 577, do you realize that the adapter will not fit your Velbon tripod? The 577 quick release adapter is designed for the Bogen 501/503 head - they all use a common base plate. (I own the 577 with a 503 head).

The 577 comes with a base plate, so you could use it with your camera to go on and off your Glidecam quickly, but you won't be able to attach it to your tripod without changing the plate. Hope that makes sense.

I suppose you can get 2 Manfrotto 577s - one for the Glidecam, and one attached to your Velbon base plate on the tripod, but that just seems silly and not economical.

Cheers,
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Richard,

Eric is correct about the 577 not fitting the Velbon but where there is a will there is a way. Maybe a 577 shoe on the Velbon and one on the Glidecam with one quick release plate on the camera. Hey...it's possible.

The nice thing about the Manfrotto 577 quick release system is that it can be adjusted forwards and backwards easily then locked down. When connected to the Glidecam this means you can fine balance front to back much easier as well.

Gee I'm glad I have a 503 head!

Terry
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)