Don Juan Vs Missionary Stabiliser Ops at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 20th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #1
Trustee

Don Juan Vs Missionary Stabiliser Ops

Don Juan - an operating position where the operator walks forward but the camera points backward.
Missionary - an operating position where the operator walks forward and the camera points forward.

I'm interested to know how can I operate in Don Juan! I cant imagine having the camera pointing backwards.. I would imagine a second monitor mounted somewhere but to watch the road ahead n the monitor is no easy task I think!

Next question, where does the camera point? Over the left or right shoulder? I'm a right hander n I think left would be better as the indicam I'm using has the anker on the right waist... if yes, that would be really tiring to raise the camera above the shoulder all the time ist it?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Major Player

When operating normally (In Missionary), the sled should be at your side - not out in front of you - the opposite side to which the arm attaches to the vest.

"Regular" operating has the arm attached on the right putting the sled on your left. You control the gimble (pan & tilt) with your left hand and the arm post with your right. "Goofy" is the other way round.

To switch to "Don Juan" just pan the camera 180* so that it's pointing backwards. With the sled tucked close to your side, you should be able to shoot cleanly past/over your shoulder.

This is similar to panning the rig to either side to shoot tracking shots. In fact any time that your gimble hand is pointing the same way as the camera and monitor, you are in "missionary" and when the monitor and camera point back along your arm, then you are in DJ - so normally the case when you are panned off to the left in regular or to the right in goofy.

If you are using the camera's LCD monitor, DJ can be quite a challenge.
If you are using a sled mounted monitor down at the bottom, it will be much easier as you will be able to see your feet and ahead of you (in your peripheral vision) when looking down at the monitor.

- Mikko
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Sean,

An important note...Many, if not a majority of professional Steadicam operators will shoot in the missionary position but walk backwards. I am told that Don Juan isn't used nearly as much as reverse missionary. Yes, you do need to have a spotter or keep a real good eye on where you are going. Always pre-walk your shot first and make note of any potential problems.

The shot on our website ( http://www.indicam.com/ ) which shows video using the 1/2 pound camera was done handheld but in missionary position for the whole shot. A lot of it was done in the reverse missionary position where the camera was leading the action.

Mikko discussed the proper way to do a Don Juan shot-sled to the left side of the body with the camera looking backwards over your shoulder. You frame by looking at the side mount monitor-sometimes flipping the screen so you can see it better.

Hope all is well with you.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Terry,
I sent you an email a while back...don't know if you got it. My question is, is your rig sufficient for a Canon XLH1 loaded with gear, weighing 13 lbs? I've also been considering the new magiqcam 2p.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Major Player

FYI, don juan isn't usually something that you prepare for specifically. When walking you shot, it's important to figure out your footwork, and plan the best places for switching in and out of DJ.... Sometimes, if you have to lead an actor for a few steps only, it may not be necessary to switch. Sometimes, you have to switch to fit through awkward spaces. It's all a matter of walking the shot, working the dance-steps.

That said, some ops choose never to shoot don juan, even when running (Larry McConkey). However, more important than DJ is the switch. Practice the switch moving in all directions, and DJ will eventually become second nature.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Wrangler

I have occasionally over the years tacked on a lightweight monitor that faces forward for DJ work but it usually is just confusing (pan stays the same but tilt essentially reverses, i.e. pushing the post towards the monitor usually results in a tilt down, here it is a tilt up).

I'll do anything I can to avoid going into DJ but sometimes it is unavoidable for me. More often I will be working in "semi-DJ" which involves being panned hard right or left for periods during a shot.

There are a few operators who like DJ enough to make that the style of choice for backing up shots--but only a few!
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Wow thanks for the great info. I must try DJ out.. I tried missionary and walking in he reverse direction, its really tough to gauge where I was heading to.

The other very difficult action is to focus on an object and panning in a circular motion. Imagine an object in the middle, the camera shoots at it while walking in a big circle around it.. holy cow I have a really tough time keeping the frame correct!! I did it by having the sled to my left, and pointing to the left while walking.. prob is I can't see the monitor as it will be facing the left! so I end up trying to figure out if the frame.. So how do u guys do this kinda shots?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)