Will the Steadicam Merlin work for the HV10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old January 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Will the Steadicam Merlin work for the HV10

Fergus got my mind going on this from his GlideCam post. I like the Glidecam 2000, but this one looks really sleak:

http://www.steadicam.com/handheldmerlin.html

This baby looks nice. Expensive, but it has me interested.

Think it would work with the HV10, expecailly since the HV10 is so small/light?

Anyone here have the Merlin?
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Vaughan
Fergus got my mind going on this from his GlideCam post. I like the Glidecam 2000, but this one looks really sleak:

http://www.steadicam.com/handheldmerlin.html

This baby looks nice. Expensive, but it has me interested.

Anyone here have the Merlin?
I didnt see a price, how much is that bad boy? And is there anywhere to order it online?
Ryan Kingston (Guest) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #3
Major Player

about $800.

Very pricey.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Stead...rlin+steadicam
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #4
Wrangler

Gents:

Many, many posts here about Glidecams, Merlin, etc. etc...browse the Support Your Local Camera section and much will be revealed.

Most important thing to know about stabilizers is that they take PLENTY of practice to get great results.
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Vaughan

"its counterbalancing weight can be precisely adjusted to balance cameras from 0.5 to 5 lbs."

from: http://www.videogear.co.uk/index.php...FSggEAodlHpTNA
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Gents:

Many, many posts here about Glidecams, Merlin, etc. etc...browse the Support Your Local Camera section and much will be revealed.

Most important thing to know about stabilizers is that they take PLENTY of practice to get great results.
Thanks Charles...

However, I was aware of other threads, but not the specific inclusion of the HV10. I know people like their Merlins, but I wasn't sure if the HV10 would be too light for it thus making it difficult to balance.

$800 bucks is not a quick spend for me. Going to need to save up for it or just go for the GlideCam 2000 (which seems to work rather nicely).

Anyhow, thanks for the help guys.
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Wrangler

You can always add more weight if needed, such as the Bogen quick-release adaptor.

There are numerous advantages to the Merlin, by the way...not the least of which is the ease of adjustments to the top stage. With the Glidecam, it's a laborious process of loosening nuts and sliding plates and re-tightening etc. whereas the Merlin has tightly geared knobs. These stabilizers need to be constantly trimmed, often inbetween takes, to achieve perfect balance, so it's something you will be doing a lot and will find much easier with the Merlin.

The Merlin also weighs less, so the overall effect will be more comfortable in your wrist, generating less fatigue and longer shooting times.

Consider that the stabilizer you buy now will likely be in your possession long after the Canon is history and you have moved on to another camera. I bought the predecessor to the JR along with a Hi-8 camera in the early 90's and sold the JR in perfect working condition a couple of years ago--the Hi8 had long been replaced with a DV camera, which itself had been replaced by a newer model!
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Good points Charles.

To me, the higher price seems worth it for the ease of adjustments with the Merlin.

Just need to sell some stuff or save some cash because that's a big purchase for me.
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
The Merlin also weighs less, so the overall effect will be more comfortable in your wrist, generating less fatigue and longer shooting times.
Good point. Surely the Canon HV10, as the lightest HDV camcorder, deserves the lightest stabilizer. Both weigh less than a pound (although its battery pushes the HV10 over a pound), so the total could be under 2 pounds. This may be light enough to shoot nearly all day without wrist fatigue. It is certainly very portable, compared to heavy vest-mounted stabilizer arm systems supporting 10-lb-plus camera/sled packages.

Having stabilized HDV picture quality in a 2-lb handheld package strikes me as an exciting technical advance, which opens up new shooting possibilities that just didn't exist before.
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Major Player

HV10 and Merlin Settings

I have both of these but would like the quick fix of settings if someone has spent the time to set the Merlin for the HV10.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #11
Major Player

I have used the HV10 on my (meanwhile sold) Merlin in a couple of shots, that I'd share if someone is interested. Because of the low weight of the HV10 I found it rather difficults to balance. In addition, the slightest wind made the combination shake:

Ideal in terms of total weight - not very convincing in terms of overall balance behaviour.
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #12
Wrangler

I would imagine that a 1.5 to 2lb weight plate mounted between the camera and stage would do wonders for this combination.
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann
... the slightest wind made the combination shake:
I see your point -- the weather-vane effect. Who ever thought that the camcorder and counterweight would need streamlined fairings, like a racing bike? * sigh *
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
I have used the HV10 on my (meanwhile sold) Merlin in a couple of shots, that I'd share if someone is interested.

Hand raised...I'm interested.
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
I have used the HV10 on my (meanwhile sold) Merlin in a couple of shots, that I'd share if someone is interested.

I'm interested too!
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)