Glidecam 2000 with FX1 and Bogen 501? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 15th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Glidecam 2000 with FX1 and Bogen 501?

Hey, I recently picked up a Glidecam from another DVinfo'er and I've been having some difficulty getting a good balance with my FX1 with the big Sony battery in it. For those of you using this setup, what settings are you using? (How many plates, where, how far down did you place the bottom piece from the gimbal, ect.)

Also I have a 501 head and I've been looking for a quick-release plate that I can use the same quick release I have on my 501. The only one I've been able to find is a quick release plate for monopods. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (fortunately I don't have anything planned until like April I would want to use the Glidecam 2000 with, so I have some time to practice)
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Got it mostly stabilized now, just looking for a compatible release plate with bogen 501/503 heads if anyone has any ideas
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Wrangler

How about this?
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Wrangler

Charles, that looks like the plate which attaches to the camera. I think he wants the the other half (like the part on the tripod head) to attach to the glidecam.

This *might* be it...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Wrangler

Gotcha, I thought that seemed to simple. Yes, that assembly will work according to the specs, and you get an extra plate with it!

Note that this sucker is not light when you are talking about handheld stabilizers--you'll have to extend your post and/or add weights to compensate.
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Major Player

That might be it Boyd, I'll have to do some more research I guess. It looks about the same size as my current plate/head, but I've seen other ones that look about right, but not close enough to fit tightly. Maybe I should just contact Bogen/Manfrotto directly to get the answer I need
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Wrangler

It does say in the description that it fits the 501/503 heads.
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Awesome, thanks guys I just wanted to make sure the same plates would work. I'm gonna order it tomorrow! Thanks again
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hayes
Awesome, thanks guys I just wanted to make sure the same plates would work. I'm gonna order it tomorrow! Thanks again
Hey Noah... did you get the plate? I was looking to do the same thing except I want to put it on a Steady Stick. Is it the right part? Hope so!!
L. Kirk Kauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah I picked it up from a local shop, it works fine...now I just gotta find time to play around with getting it balanced quickly... lol
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Noah,

You probably already know this but it might be helpful for anyone else reading this post.

First get a good drop time balance (about 2 seconds) then go for the vertical front-to-back and side-to-side balance. On the Glidecam you either change how many weights you have on the bottom plate or lower the extendable post til you get the correct drop time.

I'm embarassed to say that more than a few times in the past I have been guilty of trying to balance a camera on one of our systems and didn't do step 1. It's pretty hard to verticaly balance a rig when the camera doesn't want to stay on top.

Practise, practise, practise Terry.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)