When is the Steadicam Pilot coming out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Inner Circle

When is the Steadicam Pilot coming out

Anyone have any idea when it's going to come to market?

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson View Post
Dates are "early summer" for the Merlin arm & vest, and "later in the summer" for the Pilot. ....

- Mikko
Far as I am aware this is the best we know without someone cornering Garret directly, heh. I can't wait, personally!
Byron Huskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah my bad for not reading more carefully ;-(

I also got an email from Steadicam tech support and they said around mid summer.

Thanks
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I have been told that the Pilot sled isn't going to be sold separately.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Does that mean if you have a Merlin & order the vest and arm - then you later decide you want to add the Pilot sled, you won't be able to order the slet separately - i. e. need to order an additional vest & arm with it? hmmm.
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah that's right. Hope somebody proves me wrong. I would like to upgrade to the Pilot sled sometime in the future since I will already have the arm and vest.

Last edited by Nick Tsamandanis; May 1st, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
Nick Tsamandanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Bummer!

I have the Merlin & am saving for the arm & vest... then hoping to upgrade by adding the Pilot sled at a later date. Wonder what their thinking might be? I may have to rethink this progression - have you looked into other sleds that you could buy separately that would work without paying for another arm/vest?

I guess this is another wait & see what happens.

D
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey, maybe it's just that way with my supplier? May be different in your neck of the woods. An email to Tiffen should sort things out. Just doesn't make sense having to buy the same vest and arm again. I prefer the Tiffen products.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM   #9
Wrangler

I have corresponded with Tiffen on this issue for you folks. It's too early in the game to say for sure how this will all pan out definitively, but it does appear that the Pilot sled will not initially be sold by itself. This would indicate that your best bet is to wait until the Pilot system comes on the market and purchase it (along with the angled pin for use with the Merlin and the metal gimbal upgrade) and then you will have everything you need. The alternative, which would mean buying the Merlin vest and arm first and then waiting for the Pilot sled to be sold separately, would undoubtedly take longer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)