Steadicam Merlin and XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 20th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #1
New Boot

Steadicam Merlin and XH A1

Just wondering if anyone has used the new steadicam merlin with the A1?

http://www.steadicam.com/handheldmerlin.html

At $799 it's not cheap! Being London based and part of a filmmaking club, I'm thinking of finding two or three others interested in making a group purchase and sharing the device.

I had the steadicam jr that I used with my sony vx-1000 and was quite pleased with it. It took a lot of practice and was definitely a 'skill' that I had to develop, but well worth the smooth steady shots.

Here's a funny story (if I don't laugh at it, I'll cry!) My steadicam jr is rated up to 4 pounds and the A1 is 4.5 pounds. I thought, 'maybe I can just adjust the weight balance and make it work'. So I mounted the camera, grabbed the handle of the steadicam jr, and IMMEDIATELY the thing SNAPPED in half!!! I guess that extra half pound makes a BIG difference! So moral of the story: Don't try that at home!
Win Edson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Win,

I usually have a Z1 on my Merlin, but did try out the Canon A1 and found it easier to use. Certainly no issue with the weight of the A1 on the Merlin.

Oh, be sure to keep the gimbal from your Jr, it's always nice to have an extra one just in case.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #3
New Boot

I can vouch for the Merlin with the A1. We've had ours since winter and it's a damn fine piece of equipment. It of course takes some getting used to, and some effort to master, but it works great with our A1. :)
Blake Burress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Can someone up some Merlin footage? I'd like to check it out.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Try this thread - very impressive.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=96767
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Major Player

The merlin weight restriction is 5 pounds. That only leaves .5 pounds before the A1 is over the limit.

Is that something to be concerned with if getting it for the A1? Has anyone tried it with extras strapped on to the A1?

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have to keep my shotgun mic off when using the merlin with the A1. It makes it too top heavy for me, but mostly the cord throws off the balance.
It gets kind of old to have to take it off and put it back on...and change the audio settings each time, but the footage can be really amazing so it's worth it to me.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Major Player

so potentially dumb question here:

Would anyone want to put a 35adaptor on the A1 on the merlin? Or with focus needing to be so exact, would this not be practical anyway?

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
so potentially dumb question here:

Would anyone want to put a 35adaptor on the A1 on the merlin? Or with focus needing to be so exact, would this not be practical anyway?

Trish
People have talked about using the Brevis and a 45mm pancake lens (like this one.

I'm not sure what success has been had, but I own a Merlin so eventually I'm sure I'll try it!
Benji Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Klatt View Post
I have to keep my shotgun mic off when using the merlin with the A1. It makes it too top heavy for me, but mostly the cord throws off the balance.
It gets kind of old to have to take it off and put it back on...and change the audio settings each time, but the footage can be really amazing so it's worth it to me.

You should get the adapter plate, to solve your problem. That's what I did!

http://www.jimfarrell.com/merlin/
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
The merlin weight restriction is 5 pounds. That only leaves .5 pounds before the A1 is over the limit.

Is that something to be concerned with if getting it for the A1? Has anyone tried it with extras strapped on to the A1?

Trish
One answer : http://www.jimfarrell.com/merlin/
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Contributor

If you use that plate and add just a little counterweight, does that mean you can go over the 5 lb. limit on the camera? I use a Canon quick release plate on my XH A1, which probably weighs a pound or so.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you use that plate and add just a little counterweight, does that mean you can go over the 5 lb. limit on the camera? I use a Canon quick release plate on my XH A1, which probably weighs a pound or so.

Yes exactly, you can.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

There is a mention of an "optional" metal gimble which increases the weight limit to 7 lbs.
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Yes but remember that your wrist is going to have to support all that weight.
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)