nikon coolpix video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old October 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Inner Circle

nikon coolpix video

Students of mine used a digital camera (nikon coolpix) to shoot some video of a school event. The problem is I can't seem to edit them. The manual says they're saved as Quicktime in Photo JPG codec. Has anyone ever tried to import video from a digital still camera?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My son has a coolpix camera and uses a Mac and here is his answer to your question:

Import the photos into iPhoto using the USB connector. Then open iMovie ('06 or '08). Import the movies from your iPhoto library.

If you have PC computer we cannot help.

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A wild guess.

You might try importing the folder of image files, then shift-leftclick highlighting all the files and drag transferring the entire bunch to the timeline. Hopefully they will appear there as a bunch of one-frame clips in the correct sequential order. Only the most expanded vierw of the timeline will display them as individual clips. You may need to disable the thumbnail view as the computer will be taking forever to draw the thumbnail images. Then "export-to-movie" this out then import or "new sequence" the clip and edit that.

I did this to a bunch of jpg files converted from dpx files. The only hiccup was the very last frame was moved back to the first position in the sequential order.

I am not sure now whether I dragged the higlighted clips directly to the timeline or took them to the preview window first. My jpg files were conversions from a dpx motion folder so there may have been something there to tell the software that little fact.

There will be better brains than mine to advise you soon enough. In meantime there's something for you to try.

FOOTNOTE: I did this in Premiere Pro 2 with ProspectHD at filmscan setting and 25P which was the film camera speed (old CP16R news camera with 25FPS gearing for PAL.)

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 28th, 2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #4
New Boot

Try googling for "free mjpeg codec" and install it on your PC. AFAIK almost all still cams with movie mode must use this codec to enable editing.
John Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

thx for the replies, this is what I found out:
Pedanes Bol was right iMovie was the solution that worked!

On the PC Quicktime Pro can open and do simple edits such as a trim. You can also export as different formats. Although it doesn't seem to allow you to reimport audio. When I used Quicktime Pro I discovered that a couple of the movies had an "atom error" which is a glitch in the file that occurs when copying. Seems like movies recored to memory cards are prone to these types of errors.

Final Cut Pro didn't work because will not open it unless it's converted to dv.

So using iMovie on the Mac was the way to go.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy