CIPA PictBridge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old August 5th, 2003, 07:22 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

CIPA PictBridge

From the Camera and Imaging Products Association:

PictBridge is "the new industry standard in direct photo printing that enables consumers to connect their digital camera or camcorder directly to a PictBridge-enabled printer..."

See http://www.cipa.jp/english/pictbridge/index.html

Wait... isn't this is what Exif is for? Or am I confusing two different standards (what is the difference, anyway). To a digital photo novice like myself, the printing waters seem to be getting a bit murky with DPOF, Exif, and now PictBridge... or perhaps it's becoming more clear as a result?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Warden

DPOF (Digital Print Order format) allows the camera users to select individual image files for printing by photofinishers. Depending on the version (1.0 vs. 1.1) DPOF will allow you to designate number of copies, print size, index print, date/time stamp, cropping and other data. I think DPOF is primarily backed by Kodak, Canon, Fuji and Panasonic.

Exif (Exchangeable Image File) is an image file format sponsored by the Japan Electronic Industry Development Association (JEIDA). Basically it allows the image file to be read by any application that supports the JPEG standard. It also contains data such date/time, exposure, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and other useful data the photographer might want.

CIPA PictBride is a PTP protocol for USB communication (if I remember hearing correctly, I haven't read much a bout it yet). This will allow any DSC to directly connect to any printer that supports CIPA PictBride, thus bypassing the computer. Right now the direct connect feature between DSC and printer requires specific model cameras and printers to be used.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy