D60 vs Digital Rebel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:17 PM   #1
Wrangler

D60 vs Digital Rebel

Ok, I hate to start a Camera vs. Camera thread...

But I'm still going to ask...

I can get a used Canon D60 for around the same price as a Digital Rebel. Even though the D60 is a bit older, does it offer any advantages over the D-Rebel? Or should I just go with the D-Rebel since newer technology almost always wins?

And while we are at it, can anyone explain what the 10D has over the D-Rebel in layman's terms, and why I'd need it?
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's a nice side by side comparison of the Digital Reberl and EOS10d:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

I'm comparing the two right now.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:51 PM   #3
Warden

Having just played with a Digital Rebel here are the major differences as I see it. The build of the Rebel seems better than the D60. Squeeze the D60 and the body gives, not the Rebel. It didn't feel plasticy at all. The ergonomics are not bad especially if you have smaller hands.

The viewfinder is not as bright as either the D60 or 10D. The Rebel uses a Pentamirror rather than a Pentaprism and this contributes to the darker image. Couple the Pentamirror with the mirror slap and vibration and you have the two major limitations of the Rebel. The Rebel doesn't have mirror lockup so you can't get around the vibration that way either. So watch out for unsharp images if you shoot with slow shutter speeds (even on a tripod).

The pluses are the use of the Digic processing engine (same as the 10D, G5, S50) and the same picture quality as the 10D. Picture quality is what it's all about too. So, if you pick cameras as fashion accessories then get what looks best hanging around your neck or that accessorizes your photojournalist outfit. But if you're after the most bang for your buck in digital SLR's then the Rebel is the best game in town.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:57 PM   #4
Wrangler

THanks Jeff. The plasic feel was one concern I had. I'm surprised it's tougher feeling than the D60. I have big hands though, but have learned to live with the ergonomics of little cameras.

Good feedback about camera shake due to the mirror. I've spent the last half hour reading through the review that Gints posted (thanks Gints!) and they mention it as well.

So what do you suggest for a camera that looks good hanging around my neck? :)
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:24 PM   #5
Warden

If you have more money than sense, er . . . I mean cents get the Canon 1Ds. The best fashion accessory for the fall season.

Consider getting the vertical grip,BG-E1 if you have larger hands.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 06:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Haha, I apologize for being off topic but it cracks me up about Jeff's comments about "camera fashion". Reminds me of a guy I met one time that boasted about how much of a pro he was and to make his gear somehow "last longer" would every so often apply a little Armor All to his camera.
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

hahaha...yups...i always see guys out there with these photographers vests and 4 cameras hanging off thier necks and tripods strapped onto them, and i watch them, and they spend more time strutting around "looking" like a pro, than actually getting the shots. its rediculous! haha..

but back on topic...i bought the d-rebel and ive had it for about 3 weeks now and all i have to say is, its awesome! not plasticy at all! it feels fairly rugged in my hands and it feels really good. i have big hands and ive already gotten used to the ergonomics. ive heard a couple people say it feels a little more comfortable than the 10d. i also bought the extended battery grip, and im glad i did. i completes the camera. the grip is a little deeper. image quality is awesome. same as the 10d, again. only thing id have to complain about is the 18-55mm lens that comes with the camera when you buy the kit. i dunno, but for some reason, and ive showed others these pictures, people seem to be noticing that the lens causes a slight blur on some of the images that ive taken. its not a really big issue, but being that the lens isnt as high a quality as lets say and "L" series lens, the photos could potentially be slightly mis focused in some areas. it definately has its limits, but it is an awesome lens.

although its not a 10D, or a D1s for that matter, it definately pulls it weight and for under 900 bucks for the body, you cant go wrong! get one! if you dont like it, return it! as for me...i might be selling mine soon. i really want the 10D! so if anyone wants it, make me an offer! ;) haha...

ill post up some sample shots that ive taken with the d-rebel...

hope this helps:)
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

click
click
click
click
click
click
click
click
click
click
click
click
click
click

post your thoughts:)
Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:05 PM   #9
Wrangler

John, there sure are some purdy things to take pictures of in Hawaii!

Ok, I went down to Leos (THE camera store in Vancouver) and played with the cameras this morning.

First of, what Jeff and John said about it not feeling plasticky is right on. It feels as solid as a 10d, or my Elan 7 (almost anyway).

The battery grip makes a big difference in the balance of the camera, and is the first accessory I would buy. However, the finish of the battery grip is a little cheap and cheesy compared to others. Of course, it is cheaper than others, so...

From the reaserch I did yesterday, the picture quality is identical to the 10d in every aspect, when using the same lenses. Which is only logical, having the same chips.

PS:
John, are you serious about selling your Digital Rebel? Because I'm real close to buying one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy