Purple fringing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old October 18th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Purple fringing

What, exactly, causes purple fringing? Is it a finction of the CCD or the lens or perhaps a filter? Is going to APO the only way to completely avoid it on a lens?

Once you have an image with purple fringing has anyone developed a photoshop plug in to deal with it? Manual manipulation takes a tremendous amount of time and is only effective if the amount of fringing is small.

Thanks.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #2
Warden

There can be several causes of purple fringing. The most common is CA (Chromatic Aberation). Several of the PS plugins that allow for adjustment of barrel distortion also adjust CA. Better lenses will also exhibit less CA. Canon's L series telephotos and Nikon's ED lenses show little or no CA. Wide angle lenses, by virtue of their design rarely show CA.

Other causes can be CCD, low light, low S/N ratio, high ISO etc. The software is pretty good at eliminating the visual effects of CA.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Do the photoshop plugins work with elements or just the full blown photoshop?
Old October 18th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #4
Warden

Good question, I don't use Elements. If I have time I'll load my copy of Elements and try a plugin or two. Anyone know for sure?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Jeff, Do you have a name or web address for some of these plug-ins? I can just try it and see if it works in elements (many of them do).

Thanks.
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #6
Warden

Try searching Image Factory And Fred Miranda. Both make many plugins for PS. I just don't know if they work in Elements. I didn't think Elements could use plugins.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy