Filters for digital cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filters for digital cameras

Can someone please advise me whether film filters like NDs and circular polarizers are necessary with digital cameras?

Dorothy, excitedly about to take the plunge into digital photography with a Canon Powershot A80.
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Quote:
Can someone please advise me whether film filters like NDs and circular polarizers are necessary with digital cameras?
Not so much as with film cams. But you will still find a "protective" UV or skylight and a circular polarizer useful. A rubber hood is a good idea as well, depending if your digicam has one or not, and if it will fit.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

"But you will still find a "protective" UV or skylight and a circular polarizer useful."

Thanks, Frank, for your prompt reply! But I'm curious why an ND filter or the specialty warming and softening and color filters aren't useful for digital cameras?

Dorothy
Old January 10th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Outer Circle

More light means higher shutter speed (or smaller aperture). A higher shutter will not effect the still, as with video. Regarding warming filters, all you need is MS WIN 3.11 and a shareware paint program to do all sorts of things with your digital still.
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Filters are just as useful with still as with digital, but as Frank said the same can also be don digitally, especially if you have Photoshop CS as if has a 'Filter effects' utility included.

With your A80 you're somwhat limited with filters as it's such a small front element that fitting filters would require a bunch of adapters as well as the filters themselves.

An ND or grey grad would be just as effective with digital as they would be with film due to limited dynamic ranges of CCD/CMOS sensors.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, Frank and Adrian. I really appreciate your input!

I want to learn how to shoot as photographically as possible without having to resort to adding effects in post. Canon has a 52mm lens adaptor so I'm going to order that along with a UV, circular polarizing and ND filter.

Dorothy
Old January 11th, 2004, 03:05 AM   #7
Outer Circle

I'm not too sure what a plain ND will do on a digital camera; just increase the shutter speed if you want to cut down on light.
Old January 11th, 2004, 05:01 AM   #8
Trustee

I'd just go with the polarizer and forget the ND. The polarizer acts like an ND and cuts 1 & 1/2 to 2 stops as well as controlling glare and saturating colours. Unless you plan to shoot in extremely bright situations then the polarizer should do the job for you.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #9
Warden

ND filter are useful because many for the small digicams are limited to F8. The lenses are so small that higher apertures (F11, 16 etc.) cause noticeable diffraction. You may want to consider this adapter and filters from Cokin. Adapters can also be purchased to use the same filters with many 35mm cameras and DV cameras. B & H sells the adapter and filters.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff! Yes, the A80 is limited to F8.

Which value neutral density filter would you recommend, ND.3 or ND.6?

Canon makes a lens adaptor I was planning to get along with some 52mm filters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=300531&is=REG

The Cokin digi-cam adaptor and filters sound interesting but I can't locate 'em on B & H's site.

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy