Bought Digital Rebel - Love it! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 11th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Trustee

Bought Digital Rebel - Love it!

Thought some of you would like to know I dove in and got the Canon Digital Rebel and love it. It's perfect for me. It basically mimics all the settings of a film camera - ISO light sensitivity (the 100 setting looks astounding, and they seem accurate too - 800 LOOKs like 800 film. Slightly grainier. Amazing) - shutter and aperture. The lens it comes with is ok. The best part is that I can use all my 58mm adapters that I have for my GL2 with the Rebel.

It's a beautiful little camera and doesn't feel unsturdy at all. I certainly wouldn't want to drop it, but it's not like it's going to fall apart.

I did get the 4 year service plan. I got a service plan on my TV and wound up needing it, so I think for big purchases like this it's worth it.

Well I'll post some samples on my website once I've gotten a chance to go around DC snapping.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Congratulations! I've really been wanting to get one myself but have blasted all my loose change on the new Panny video cam.

Question, how is the control over depth of field? Is it easy to do portrait shots, or other creative depth of field shots? I have a Canon 35mm SLR with some lenses, and I'm wondering if I'd really enjoy the transition, as DOF plays a huge role in my still photography.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3
Trustee

As far as I can tell it's very good, though I haven't quite tried out all the functions yet.

There's an automatic setting for "portrait" which gives you the best depth of field possible. Manually, you can set the ISO, shutter speed, and, most importantly, aperture, so you can set all those like you would on a normal 35 to get the depth of field want. Finally, there's a "depth of field" preview button that shows you the DOF in the viewfinder itself, so you can try all the settings before you snap the shot.

One minor complaint is that you can't preview the picture in the LCD monitor, apparently, before you shoot it. Is that standard on digital SLRs?
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:32 AM   #4
Warden

Quote:
One minor complaint is that you can't preview the picture in the LCD monitor, apparently, before you shoot it. Is that standard on digital SLRs?
Yes, it's normal, with one or two notable exceptions, the LCD is used only for review in DSLR's. The mirror that makes viewing through the lens (TTL) possible, covers the CCD/CMOS sensor. There also is a conventional shutter that covers the chip as well. In the future a semi-transparent mirror may be used (pellicle mirror) to syphon some of the light off and feed a smaller chip that in turn will power a small CRT or LCD in the viewfinder. But as of today most professionals find the CRT or LCD to lack the resolution for critical work.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, and I wouldn't disagree with that assessment. The only thing I wouldn't mind is being able to preview the exposure. However, the light meter is extremely good; I find that as long as it's close to the center it's fine, and on most of my pictures I usually prefer it a little below, and it looks beautiful. Still lightyears better than having to wait for developing to see my pictures. ;)
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i also have the 300d...check out my website for some pictures ive taken...

http://www.john-garcia.com/portfolio...ry/photography
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #7
Trustee

You have some nice photos there! Are ALL of those taken with this cam?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #8
Wrangler

John, same comment, nice pics.

Did you do a lot of post-processing? Or do you mostly rely on filters and lighting?
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks for all of your comments! :D

some post processing is used with my shots but for the most part i rely pretty much on available light and good shooting conditions. and of course, a little bit of luck!

most of the images you see on my site are taken with my 300d, with the rest of the shots being taken with my old cybershot 707...
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #10
Warden

Very nice John, thanks for linking your photos.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

no problem, jeff. :D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy