Focusing Aid (Split, etc.) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #1
Trustee

Focusing Aid (Split, etc.)

I noticed the Digital Rebel, at least with the default lens, has no focusing aid other than auto-focus, making it kind of difficult to focus if AF doesn't work.

Is a focusing aid a lens-specific thing? Do most lenses have this? I know my old 35mm Olympus SLR does, but the EF lenses for the digital rebel that I've been looking at don't seem to say one way or another.

Many thanks.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Warden

The focusing aids are not a part of the optical path, or else they would appear in all your pictures. Rather, the focusing aids are etched on the focusing screen, a type of Fresnel lens. Focusing screens are usually of a composite material and is housed at the top of the mirror box. Remove the lens and look up in the top of the camera. You'll be looking at the focusing screen. Some cameras have removable screens, such as your old OM system cameras, and the Canon 1D and 1Ds DSLR's.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #3
Trustee

Point being, I won't ever get a focusing aid on by Rebel? :(

Thanks for the reply.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I was really suprised to see my girlfriends Minolta SLR missing the focusing aid. This is one of the main things I miss on my Canon Powershot A80 since the lcd manual focusing is way to hard to view accuratly. The only SLR I've used is my dads old Canon AT1 so I thought this was a standard feature in all SLR cameras.

Since the Rebel is a bit to plastic for me I'm considering the 10D or perhaps Nikons D70 if it's any good.

Does the 10D have focusing aid?
Benjamin Taft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

There are some weird people who use their Leica R lenses on Canon digital bodies. This arrangement only works in plain old manual focus, so for these 'people' (if people they are) it is important to have a good focussing screen.

This article on Andrew Nemeth's site discusses EOS focussing screens - including the faint possibility that Brightscreen may offer a screen swap for the 300D in the future, following the D30, D60 and 10D which they already do swaps for according to Andrew. The article also points out that EOS screens are optimised for brightness rather than contrast - ie they aren't designed for manual focus.

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy