what is a megapixel worth? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Wrangler

what is a megapixel worth?

Remember a while back I was thinking of buying an older but decent EFV digital camera? Well, I talked my better half into letting me buy a new one. I had decided on a 5mp Minolta A1, but now the 8mp A2 has come out. SHould be a no brainer, except Minolta has jacked the price on the A2 up another $300.

Feature wise, they both have the same goodies that I care about (the A2 has a pimp 900k pixel EVF though), the extra 3mp are the only things pushing me towards the A2. I can get an A1 for about $700us, but the A2 will clock up $1000. So $300us ($400cdn for me), what would you guys do in my situation?

I'm not a pro photographer and don't make a living at it, and may never print anything bigger than an 8x10. On the other hand, maybe I will take that one great picture that I wish I would have been able to blow up bigger, and regret not having the extra resolution.

Thoughts anyone?

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, I chose the A1/A2 because of its image stabilization capabilities. No other camera in that class has an IS except for the Panasonic Lumix, which I don't like the form/feel of in my hands. Yes I know I can get a Digital Rebel for the same price, but not with a 28-200mm IS lens. Plus the A1/A2's are smaller and I'll take it with me more often.
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #2
Outer Circle

That new higher-end Canon sure is nice.

I doubt you can get much for a used lower pixel'd camera. They're a dime a dozen in pawn shops. Sorry.

With a good film camera, the value is there, with electronics, it's another matter.

See if you can talk a friend into buying it for web stuff. Or give it away as a present to a family member.

$200 at most, more likely $100. However, you may always get lucky.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Frank, you'd be surprised at how well some digital cameras keep their value. I sure was. If I could get a real bargain on a used one, I would. In the internet marketplace, there is such a demand for used cameras that it drives the price higher than it should be. Not many pawn shops near me, so I don't get to check them out. If you see any used Minolta A1's, let me know!

Not sure what you mean about selling any of my cameras though. I'm looking to buy, not sell.
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #4
Warden

I think your subject (what is a megapixel worth?) threw him a curve. Besides, it's still pretty early for Frank.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I'm okay. :-))

Hmmm. My buddy can't even get $600 for his Coolpix and lenses. He paid around $3000. He's now asking $400. The cam's only a year old. :-((

Maybe I should go to sales college.... :-))
Quote:
Not sure what you mean about selling any of my cameras though. I'm looking to buy, not sell.
I guess it would have helped my cause if I would have read your original post word for word, and then one more time for good measure, before I hammered the keyboard. Sorry Dylan. I hope I didn't give you a heart-attack. :-))
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #6
Trustee

Dylan,

5MP is fine for up to A4 (8x11.5) size. I've printed shots from my 4MP Canon S45 and they look great. If you were wanting to print for commercial purporses then the A2 would be better but for your own use I would just go with the A1.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Wrangler

Hmm... Decisions decisions... I'll have to give it some more though.

Frank, which Coolpix does he have? $3000 sounds like D-SLR price range.
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I can't recall---the one that came out about 8 months ago. That price also includes 3 or more Nikkor lenses. He bought that new high-end Canon a few months ago (with lenses). I can't recall that model either off hand. As you know, I prefer manual film cameras and small miniDV cams.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #9
Major Player

You da man, Frank. I can still get $180 for my OM2.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #10
Wrangler

Dylan, I got an A1 last month primarily for scouting and pre-visualizing on film sets, due to its fully mechanical zoom. I have it marked with cine focal lengths, and am quite pleased with its performance for that purpose--the stabilizer is great for this use, as I can take longer lens shots in low light without them going blurry on me. I'm able to make little movies on the spot as well, so we can rough in camera moves. I was hoping to find a camera that did all this AND took really great pictures, but after researching this camera and waiting six months for the Sony 828 to come out (to great disappointment image-wise, from all I gathered) I gave up and bought the A1 for work, plus a Canon D10 and a couple lenses to make pretty pictures with for play. (the D10 is too big and doesn't have a movie mode or an active display while shooting, which makes it less desirable for the pre-viz stuff). I've yet to see proof that the new generation of 8 mp cameras with smaller sensors can make images that compete with the 6 mp larger sensors like the D10, image-wise.

(p.s. I managed to get a factory refurbished D10 for the price of the Rebel, which made this all possible).

Here's an example of a scout I did today with the A1...there's a couple of soft shots as I was in a bit of a rush, still learning the peculiarities of autofocus on that camera!, but they are just reference pics for me and my gaffer. How about that house, BTW--it's a former celebrity abode in Bel Air, we are shooting some walkthroughs for a documentary this weekend. Nice looking place,eh?
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #11
Wrangler

Thanks for the feedback on it Charles. My final decision of a A1/A2 over a Digital Rebel or 10d was based on the theory that if I had a D-SLR body plus two lenses, it would stay at home alot more, and I wouldn't take nearly as many pictures with it. Plus by the time I added the IS lenses, it would double the cost of an A2, which maxes out my budget.
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #12
Wrangler

Exactly so. I haven't ventured out with my D10 yet (shame! shame!) which makes me wonder if did the right thing...NO! I shall take pictures for fun, I shall!
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #13
Outer Circle

I take at least a couple of pictures a day, well almost. There's always something interesting to snap, er, click. May film never die! Just keep in mind that a picture can steal someone's soul, if you do it right. :-))

I posted about my buddy's digi cams before. In fact, the pic of me on this board was done with his Nikon.
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #14
Warden

I covered a Concours d' Elegance on Saturday and shot over 600 images. Sometimes it helps to give yourself an assignment to get things started. The A1 and A2 are great cameras, Dylan. I think you'll be happy with either. Charles is right about these new 8 MP cameras. None are really living up to their expectations because of high noise levels and chromatic aberrations in some lighting conditions.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #15
Major Player

I have shot faux 6MP on my Fuji S602 (more realistically 3MP) and using Photoshop for cleaning and interpolating, I have SOLD (Yes, paid job) posters of A0 size! That's 5000 x 7500 pixels at 150dpi. The client noted that the image is not exactly sharp, but good enough for their use. Moral of the story: MP is not everything!
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy