Rebel or 10D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old June 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Rebel or 10D

WITHOUT considering the hack for the Rebel. I would like some advice on why I should, or shouldn't buy the 10d over the Rebel.

I would be using it mainly for personal use, but, may use it for occasional portraiture or weddings.
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Harry:

I deliberated between the two and ultimately settled on the 10D. I will admit getting a fabulous deal on a factory refurbished unit that negated the price difference, but I think in retrospect it would have been worth it at the higher price. Given that the images produced are virtually identical, it comes down to ergonomics and interface, and for me the 10D was much nicer to hold and work with than the Rebel.

The new 8 megapix version will be out this summer, so it's probably worth waiting for either that or price drops on the existing 10D.

I absolutely love the camera, it's inspired me to get back into still photography after an ambivalent 10 or 15 years. As far as portraiture: my girlfriend needed new headshots (she's an actress, god help me!) and we were prepared to spend the money on having a "pro" do them. We decided to do some test shots at home with the 10D to see how it would go. Other than the desperately cool concept of being able to snap a series, then download and examine them to figure out what worked or not, then go shoot another round (like full-res Polaroids without the fuss), the pictures came out beautifully and we have no intention of hiring someone to do any more. The first job she sent them pictures out, she was hired for (on the strength of the pictures, they said). I personally love the skin tones, Canon really has something going with this (I'm an XL1 fan also).
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Elements of Charles' story are similar to mine. I had been away from real still photography for nearly 20 years. I have several good film camera bodies and lenses gathering dust in my closet. I also have an Elph and an Olympus C2500L digital camera (pretty good little cam). But it wasn't until I got the 10D that my interest in still photography really rekindled. It feels and looks like a professional camera, not a hobby camera. It demands that you pay attention to what you're doing.

The DRebel was not on the market when I got my 10D. But I have to say that I would have chosen the 10D even if it was available.

One way to make the decision is to consider what compromises the 10D might force upon you in the short-term. Could you, for example, afford to get a top-notch lens for the 10D right away? How about a tripod or other accessories that you might need? If the answer is no, perhaps the Rebel is the better choice as it will allow you to fully enjoy the camera right away.

Of course, in the final analysis, the photographer matters far more than the camera. If you're interested in photography I think you'll really enjoy either choice. They're both incredible values.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the Digi Rebel and love it. To me the deciding differences between the DR and 10D are the body. If you would be putting it through heavy/demanding use I would think the 10D body would hold up better.

I take my DR to the motocross track to take pics every time I ride and it has held up good so far, but I have only had it about 9 months.

Here is a link to one of my favorite shots I got with the digi rebel and an inexpensive Tamron lens:

http://www.zoohoot.com/media/images/...GMCC60%7E1.jpg
Josh Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Warden

Very nice shot Josh.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Is that John Locke on that bicycle?! <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

LOL...no, that would be Robert Locke of Texas :)

Thanks Jeff!
Josh Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:36 AM   #8
Wrangler

Harry, I started off with a Digital Rebel and was not impressed with the body and lack of features compared to the 10D. I then upgraded to the 10D and while both are great cams I think the extra money spent on a 10D is worth it.

- and I'm not just saying that because I have a 10D in the classifieds here. :)
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:55 PM   #9
Major Player

I dig my Rebel. I wouldnt trade it since Im not a big still guy and for point and shoot its great. Im sure it has its limitations but for me it has been a dream.

BTW- What hack?
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2004, 03:52 AM   #10
Warden

Look further down the forum and you'll see Keith's thread and my thread on the subject of Rebel hacks.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

check out my site:

http://www.john-garcia.com

i have alot of 10D photography on there.

- john

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy