20D Bug at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old September 18th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

20D Bug

It's probably good practice to read what the users of a brand new product say about it before one goes and buys it.
Hopefully, Canon will address the issue.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=10313358
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Clickable

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10313358
Old September 18th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #3
Warden

I think it's a lot of over reaction myself. The results don't appear to be very repeatable. Any new product that is mass produced will have some small percentage that is defective.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It could be an over reaction and/or a small percentage of units that have these issues, but I think that there is a fairly high number of 20D owners on this forum and other forums that are experiencing these issues.
I'm sure that Canon has heard of this issue by now and they will correct any necessary problems associated with this issue since they are in the early stages of manufacturing.
A lot of these 20D owners are proffesionals that have decided to purchase their 20D's as their reliable backup camera.
Do you think that people will start making warranty claims as a result?
I would think most people wont unless the issue becomes worse. Hopefully not.
Do you think that this issue could be fixed with a firmware update?
Old September 18th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #5
Warden

I don't think it is an issue. It is only appearing on DP Review. I've not seen anyone on Fred Miranda with the problem and a few have reported the issue on Rob Galbraith. Chuck Westfall from Canon replied and said it 's too early to tell and if Canon thinks a problem exists, a statement will come from their service department.

Dp Review's forums are a joke. Most 20D owners don't even go onto forums. This is a very small percentage of the 20D owners. Repairs would of course be handled under the terms of the Canon Warranty. Firmware upgrades rarely repair service center issues. If a person's camera is failing to power on, the cause could be mechanical or electrical in nature. Mechanical causes can not be fixed with a firmware upgrade and only select electrical issues could be fixed with an upgrade.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was on the Fred Miranda forum when I became aware of the glitch some 20D owners were experiencing with their cameras. There are only a few 20D users on the FM site that have reported the same experiences.
There is no doubt that there are a lot of clowns on the DP Review forum and many other forums for that matter. I for one look past the immature and arrogant posts and concentrate on the post that I find interesting or informative.
I see that DP review is not your cup of tea.

I don’t think that it is illogical to assume that 20D users, who do not frequent forums, are not having similar issues. They very well may represent a small percent, but it is a percentage none the less.
I’m not jumping to conclusions and do not want this thread to scare people away from the 20D’s. I just want people to be aware of this and share their thoughts on the subject. I love canon products and I’m considering buying this camera myself. But I would want to know as much about any issues, glitches or problems the camera may have.
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Certainly if you're planning to buy the new 20D, browsing forums is one way to see what you should expect. But, as with any forum, you need to use a fine sieve and be careful not to overweight what you "learn".

Phil Askey's DPreview site is arguably the best Internet reference on digital still cameras. His product reviews are extremely thorough and consistently organized. But those forums are quite another matter. I poke into the 1D and Canon lens forums occasionally. Unmanaged, unmoderated, anonymous and out of control. As with so many forums, a few knowledgeable people in a sea of pure juvenile male noise.

With regard to consumer electronics the second mouse gets the cheese. My opinion: If you want a 20D find something to distract your attention for a few months or a year. The 20D looks like a truly terrific update to the 10D. But let Canon and the early adopters shake the product down.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Problem appears to be continuing, all the sites that I read are now reporting the problem. I suspect a firmware problem as none of the previews (that I remember) mentioned problems with lockup. The problem seems to be growing. I think canon will attack this quickly and it will only be a minor bump in the road. Canon does however need to add the 20d to it's support and download sections on the Canon USA site.

Photo.net use to be a favorite site of mine but over the past years I have found the server painfully slow to deal with (I have cable modem) and today I couldn't log on, anyone else notice this?
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #9
Warden

Several members are posting at Rob Galbraith that they were told by Canon not to use the battery that came with the camera. They also report that after discontinuing use of the battery, they have not experienced any further problems. Early indications are that Canon got a batch of defective batteries. This is being further substantiated by the limited geographic area of the complaints.

Old September 21st, 2004, 02:04 AM   #10
Major Player

A lot of the discussions evolve around lens removal.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #11
Warden

Canon has responded via private email, to those individuals that have emailed Canon concerning the 20D locking up. Canon has stated that they are studying the issue and that a firmware update will be released to address the issue.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy