Canon 10d noise level at high ISO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old October 6th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Wrangler

Canon 10d noise level at high ISO

Just wondering about noise levels in the 10d when you are shooting at a high ISO, like 800 or higher, in poor conditions. I've seen the review on DPreview, which show the noise level, but not in actual everyday applications.

If possible, can any of you 10d owners show some "worst case scenario" type pics?

Thanks!
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #2
Warden

What are you trying to shoot? The 10D has pretty good noise levels up to ISO 800. I feel ISO 1600 and 3200 (H) are weak. They are suitable for PJ work but little else without significant software manipulation. I do a lot of noise reduction in Noise Ninja (I just use 'um, I don't name 'um). It's the best PS plugin for noise reduction, in my opinion.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:14 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'm thinking of getting one for low-light sports. I can't get the shutter speeds I need out of my Minolta A2 since it's too noisy over anything above 100 ISO.
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #4
Warden

The best low noise camera at this time is the 20D (under $3000 USD). My cursory experiments show ISO 1600 on the 20D is very close to ISO 400 (maybe 500 or 600) on the 10D. ISO 100 on your Minolta is probably around ISO 400 on the 20D and ISO 200 on the 10D.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks Jeff!

I went and demoed a 20d today. I think it is worth the money to me over a used 10d, with the burst mode especially, but also the better noise levels. Looks like it's going to be a ramen noodles until Christmas so I can get a 20d and some glass under the tree.

My only complaint is that it feels dainty in my big paws.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Awwwww Dylan you are buying your self a x-mas present. I went and bought a 10d, (I got it used for a sweetheart of a deal) and I have to say the thing kicks but. I have shot in low light and at 1600 and H (or 3200) ISO and ya there is noise but if you shoot film at that speed there is noise there to. The higher the speed the grainer the look that is part of the effect. Don’t get me wrong film looks better then the 20d and the 20 looks better the 10 but I still have a hard time forking out $2200.00 or what ever the cost just so I can have the latest and greatest. All I am saying is don’t believe the hype, there are a lot of good deals on the 10d you may be able to save your self enough to get 2 nice lenses.

good luck dude
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #7
Wrangler

THanks Micheal!
Actually, I saw a 10d body in the Buy&Sell for $1200cdn. That's pretty darn cheap. For the sports stuff I do, the burst mode sells me. I think the extra frames and speed of the 20d might be worth it for me. Hopefully by Chrismas there will be some used ones on the market. Of course, if the right 10d came along for the right price between now and then, you never know.
Do you have any of the stuff you shoot with the 10d up on the web?
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

ya i have a few things i have shot posted on my site but it is down right now,
check out
http://www.snowboard.com/members/Photos/Browse.asp?Mem=830859
the last 2 shots are with the 10d
i think i called them
waiting for the train and sunset
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #9
Warden

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong film looks better then the 20d and the 20 looks better the 10 . . .
Shoot something at 3200 ISO with film and then shoot the same scene with either the 10D or 20D. There is no comparison. The digital images are far superior to the film images. Grain is the Achilles heel of film and the higher the ISO the worse the comparison between film and digital becomes.

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #10
Wrangler

Micheal, Sunset is a great pic!
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Micheal,

How fast was your lense in the "fire in the sky" shot?

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

The shot was done with 800iso at .5shutter speed and the 4.6 aperture. I love the camera.

I got the camera for 1100ca for the body, grip and 2 batteries. All in the box and with receipts.

What I meant by the ISO comment I made was that Film is not better or worse, but that it is that the results are all different and that if you change the ISO to 1600 or 3200 you should expect to get grain. I know you can add it in through post but I still like to get the shot in camera.

Anyways thanks guy for the comment
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy