photo-video viewers ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old December 7th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

photo-video viewers ?

Has anyone checked out some of these portable photo/video viewers ? I would like to find a model that would display 6+ Megapixel JPEGs with HDTV output.

Here are two solutions, though neither is gifted with HD output :

RCA Lyra RD2780 $399
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...00007,00.html?
Display Resolution: QVGA 320 x 240
MPEG-4 / MPEG-1 / JPEG / mp3 / mp3PRO* Ready / WMA Playback

Sandisk digital photo viewer $49
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/dpv.asp
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

About the only setup I've seen is a HDTV that has native PC support. Even then you've gotta have a full blown computer hooked up to display pictures. The problem is two fold with most CRT HDTVs not displaying a progressive scan image and even the LCD, DLPs, and plasma HD sets that do display computer graphics are limited to the sets native resolution which is often 720p (1280x720). That means those massive 6MP and 8MP photos will be watered down by the time they make it to your screen.

Another twist is that a lot of HD sets now have card readers. Tonight I transferred a 8MP image of the family cat from my 20D (Compact Flash) to Memory Stick. I then put the MS into my 50" Grand Wega LCD internal MS reader and after about 10 seconds of loading the 3MB JPG I was rather stunned at how good the photo looked even though obviously it had been reduced in size to acommodate the TVs native 1366x788 (768p) resolution.

A nice 1080p HD set with an internal multi-format card reader should be a vast improvement over whats available today.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : A nice 1080p HD set with an internal multi-format card reader should be a vast improvement -->>>

Yeah, that would get you to 2MP but not 6MP or 8MP. The Apple 30" Cinema HD Display has 4MP, and I think that's about as close as you're gonna come... ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

>That means those massive 6MP and 8MP photos will be watered >down by the time they make it to your screen.

That's ok. I'll take the improvement !

>Another twist is that a lot of HD sets now have card readers. >Tonight I transferred a 8MP image of the family cat from my 20D >(Compact Flash) to Memory Stick. I then put the MS into my 50" >Grand Wega LCD internal MS reader and after about 10 seconds >of loading the 3MB JPG I was rather stunned at how good the >photo looked even though obviously it had been reduced in size >to acommodate the TVs native 1366x788 (768p) resolution.

Hmmm. I have a little 8MB? Memory Stick that came with my Sony VX2000. I never tried the internal card reader on my Sony Wega CRT. Thanks for the nudge. I'm basically looking for a portable solution that will work on anyone's TV, not just my own Sony WEGA.

Gee, my Sony is a new (2003) TV model. I wish Sony had equipped the TV with a USB port that can read images from a flash card reader.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #5
Wrangler

Gints, yesterday I ran across the Roku HD1000 photo viewer that might be just what you're looking for. Unfortunately its neither compact or cheap ($299 @ Tweeter).

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/hd1000/index.php

I think a portable version under $200 would be a better deal if such a thing exists.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy