Still tripod shopping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old December 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Air China Pilot

Still tripod shopping

I'm off to shop for a tripod for my DSLR (alike). Currently I have a Fuji Finepix S7000 (less than 2lbs - 600g) but eventually I will upgrade to a full DSLR.

I just want one that is fairly light. it doesn't have to have great height. Just durability. I already have a head.

I took an earlier look at some Manfrotto's (my video tripod is a Manfrottos) and the ones they had were fairly heavy. I was considering this spring to do some biking and carrying a camera + tripod. Then I learned that the lighter ones were up in the mid to high hundreds! (yikes) whereas the normal ones were less than 200.

Anyone have any favourites?
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

If anyone has feedback for Keith, I need some too.

I've got a Canon 10d and 28-135mm lens, and will be using the tripod for portrait use, and possibly outdoor landscapes too. I'm looking for something very compact, because I hate carrying stuff. Lightweight isn't as important as compactness. Also, I'm guessing I want a ball head, one that's easy to adjust, and will take the weight, switching from horizontal to vertical aspects.

Plus, I want it as cheap as possible. :)
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

I use two Manfrotto tripods for my still camera. For small and light I have a Digi 719B. It came with a nice little nylon backpack style carrying case. Has a small ball head (non levelling). It works fine with my Nikon CoolPix 5700, except when I add the WA lens which is a BIG HEAVY hunk of glass then it seems a little light duty, although it is OK if not taking time exposures.

But I really like my Manfrotto 3221WN "Wilderness" tripod when doing serious stuff. I originally got this as a kit with a 501 head for video, but later upgraded to a Miller. So I put a Manfrotto "3D" head on it and now use for still photos. This makes a nice setup for shooting panoramic shots which I enjoy doing sometimes.

It is relatively heavy, but very sturdy for a small camera. It has a nice nylon carrying bag with shoulder strap and I've hiked pretty far carrying it. Not lightweight, not sure whether you'd consider it "compact."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I really like carbon fiber legs (on tripods, that is), particularly for still photography outdoors. Very stiff and sturdy, very light. I will soon be offering a good Bogen/Manfrotto cf rig for sale, the 3443 legs with a 3D head. It's terrific for lightweight cameras.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Here's something that I am looking at doing. I also have a Manfrotto 3221WN "Wilderness" tripod like Boyd with a 501 video head. There is a little plastic acessory head plate that snaps into the tripod. I am going to buy another one, about $15.00, then fix a "Wimberley Head" to it.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?m=&pid=3567&display=desc

This will hold my Nikon D70 and Sigma 100-300 lens.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #6
Air China Pilot

I ended up getting an 055CL.

http://db.manfrotto.com/product/temp...d=2&itemid=765

It was light enough that I didn't really think about the weight as I was going through the woods. I had a 3D head on top of it.
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #7
Major Player

I have the same tripod with a 488RC2 ball head and love it. Very sturdy and stable and doesn't weight that much.
Old December 19th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Trustee

Do a B&H search for “Canon Tripod” at the bottom you will see several mini-tripods that range from $15.00- $25.00. I have one of these in my photo backpack at all times. When I don’t want to pack the big ones I always have the mini with me if I need it. I have even mounted an XL1 on it in a pinch (not recommending that). For $20.00 it’s easy to add to the order when you decide on the big one.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy