Canon Rebel XT - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Nothing is breaking on them, just bad design. If you have a flash mounted on the camera and you turn the camera into portrait position while holding onto the grip, sometimes the camera will momentarily lose power! There is too much flex in the grip and it causes the connection pin to lose contact with the camera.
Canon supposably fixed the problem and all grips with serial numbers greater than #05xxxx aren't supposed to have the problem.
So I exchanged my original grip for one with a serial number starting with #06xxxx and it still has the same problems. Canon in Canada hasn't officially claimed anything. I talked to Camera Canada, where I bought it and they have returned ALOT of these grips because of the same complaints.
I called Canon and they didn't seem very surprised and said to send it in and they will perform a 'small adjustment' and send it back to me. Hopefully it works better.
I miss my 10D grip, that thing was SOLID, as you know.
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #17
Wrangler

I've taken to juggling my 10d. I can get it 6-8 feet over my head and catch it by the grip on the way down. Sometimes, I just wait to catch it on the first bounce.

:)
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #18
Major Player

I had the pleasue at being at Canon event, where some Japanese Canon big bosses also were present. We were all given a XT to play with and afterwards we had a Q&A with the japanese management.

We were all complaining about the size of the camera, but the complaints sort of silenced, when one of the really big bosses annonced that *he* had missed several good shots because he accidently has pressed exposure lock due to the small size of the camera. He was in fact quite angry. And his statement apparently had a major effect on the present Canon people. Far more than our remarks

I think that it is beginning to dawn on Canon that smaller is not better.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:09 PM   #19
ChorizoSmells

I just bought mine yesterday, got the battery grip with it as well, but, yeah, it is a lot smaller than most cameras. I guess I'll get used to it the more I use it, I thought my XL-1 was "too big" when I first bought it but I soon got used to it. Several camera stores that I went to had the black version sold out, luckily the store I went to had them in stock and for about $100 less.

The standard wide lens that comes with it has a very cheap feel to it so I bought the body only and got a different lens, money is tight so I had to settle for a Sigma 18-50mm f:2.8 which is at least 1 stop faster than the lens Canon had on the camera, except over here in Japan it's called the Kiss Digital N. The acutally have a cute campaign for the camera, on the subway trains they have a photo of 4 kids with makeup like the band KISS and with a slogan something like "We need a KISS".

This camera is good enough for me now, I am hoping in a year or so to upgrade to a much better camera. I was using a Olympus E-10, this new camera is very fast compared to that camera, would have bought a 20D if I had the money. I paid about $1,400 US for the set up, body, battery grip, extra battery, Sigma 18-50mm f:2.8.
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:17 PM   #20
Major Player

The Sigma 18-50 F2.8 gets some pretty decent reviews
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=2

I think you will be much happier with it as compared to the Kit lens.
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:29 PM   #21
ChorizoSmells

jeff,
thanks for the link to the lens reviews, yeah, the kit lens is a joke, I felt like I would break it the first time using it. The Sigma is very solid.
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I bought a XT after my 20d was stolen. My conclusion is that functionally it is nearly identical, although not quite as quick. It is much smaller, and the viewfinder is not as big, but for 400$ less I can live with that. It's still one of the best cameras I've used.

I've had it about a month and have taken around 1500 exposures, and have no major complaints, and the price was right. (Too bad the 20d was stolen) :(
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #23
ChorizoSmells

Yeah, it's a nice camera, the only thing so far that has bothered me is that the light, aperature, and timer/one shot/multiple shot buttons are so close together. I was going to shoot a friend's dance routine and I went to adjust the aperature, I hit the timer button by mistake and it seemed to freeze up, it actually was on timer mode so it seemed like nothing was happening, it was a good 5 min. before I figured out what was wrong, then it was okay. Luckily it wasn't a real important shoot, just went to see my friend's dance and I decided to bring my camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy