Idea at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old July 14th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Idea

forgive me if this has been asked before, but...do you think there is a way to write a program that captures a feed from a digi cam say 24fps...i know it sounds like you'd need a high machine, but think about it, a laptop with digicam and program = cheap high end camera, im sure this has been discussed, if so could you point me in the direction of posts?

for example if you have a powerbook (which i will soon) one could make a modified version of this program: http://help.istopmotion.com/stories/storyReader$138
to capture 24fps and then use external audio device to record sound and sync up later....what is everyone's opinion. I want to do this big time!

thanks
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Riley,

This has been discussed here before -- you should realize that the live video output or display output from the camera's LCD screen is actually fairly low resolution relative to what the camera's image sensor can really do. It can't put out high megapixel images at 24fps. The best you can get is with some higher-end Digital SLR's like the Canon EOS 1D Mark II. That's an 8 megapixel camera which will have a maximum burst rate of forty shots at 8.5fps. You can't get 8mp images out of it any faster than that. The continuous live feed from the video output or other jacks will not provide the resolution you're looking for, unfortunately.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy