Canon D350 or D20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old December 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon D350 or D20?

I'm hoping to take some photography classes next year and figure it's time to upgrade my 3-mega Olympus. I learned a lot with that camera but now it has dead pixels and the lens is getting messed up.

All my big camcorders are Canon so I'm a bit biased towards the D20 and D350. If I'm correct the D20 has a higher shutter speed, resolution, and FPS. But the silliest plus of all is... it felt better in my big-ish hands; it is heavier but it just felt like my fingers didn't have anywhere to "fit" on the 350.

So of course I like the D20 but the cost is a big problem. The money for a nice D350 kit with almost everything is equal to that of a lonely lensless D20. The Olympus was good for eight years, I want this Canon to be around for over a decade. Should I get the 350 and be happy or is it worth breaking the bank to get a D20? Also any advice for anyone looking at still cameras in general? Thanks gang
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Jeff,

I had the 300D (or Digital Rebel on the other side of the big pond) and I now have the 20D. Personally I think the 20D is worth every cent. As you say, it is not only faster, it also feels better and the body is metal. It does make a difference, if not in image quality, then in durability.

And I like the handling of the 20D much better than that of the 300D/350D. The wheel on the back you operate with your thumb is just about the best way to shift the automatic exposure (+/- 2 f-stops in 1/3 stop increments) I can imagine. I really wonder, why they didn't put this wheel on the 350D.

So, if you have the money, go for the 20D. Having said that, the 350D is certainly great value for money. And keep in mind, that in the long run the lenses will cost you much more than a body (the 18-55mm kit lens does not match the quality of either the 350D or the 20D) . You might consider to invest in some good glass and upgrade to a better body (30D ??) later. That would probably be what I would do if I were on a tight budget. After all it is the lens that determines image quality.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Wrangler

Just a thought from someone else who has big hands...
If you are short on cash, and want a camera that fits your hands well, look for a good used Canon 10d. It'll leave you with lots of cash for a half decent lens doing most of what the 20d does, and for me fits my hands better than the 20d, which is dainty by comparison. Either way, I'd pick the 10 or 20d over the Digital Rebels. I think I'm keeping my 10d until I can afford a 5d.
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Just a thought from someone else who has big hands...
If you are short on cash, and want a camera that fits your hands well, look for a good used Canon 10d. It'll leave you with lots of cash for a half decent lens doing most of what the 20d does, and for me fits my hands better than the 20d, which is dainty by comparison. Either way, I'd pick the 10 or 20d over the Digital Rebels. I think I'm keeping my 10d until I can afford a 5d.
Good point, Dylan.

The 20D is indeed somewhat small. Therefore I bought the battery grip. But that adds another 250 bucks (or so) to the bill.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

I'd definitely add the battery grip to any of them. That's the first thing I'd buy after a lens. The grip on the 20d is pricey though, isn't it. That would be a good one to save for Ebay.
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Dylan, good idea on the 10D. Those sell on eBay for the cost of a new 350D! Thanks for the ideas everyone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy