I enjoy reading "proud cam drop stories" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old June 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Outer Circle

I enjoy reading "proud cam drop stories"

There's always new "I dropped my cam" threads on camera forums followed with a discription of the damage. This is a good thing because it keeps the repair shops, or worse, the cam companies in business. Of course, the more expensive the camera that's been dropped, the better the story.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

I enjoy natural disaster stories... but I don't usually tell people about it.
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Well, some folks have pride sharing their "little" mishaps; some have pride sharing their big mishaps.

Last edited by Frank Granovski; June 12th, 2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Okay, I'll share something I'm not proud about, though many cam people would be proud of this and happily cross-post such stupidity on every cam board they could find.

Yesterday I shot about 8 snaps of a Vancouver Police take-down, and after realizing I had forgotten to set the exposure! I should have stuck with one of my auto exposure cameras. Oh, well..., you know me. Old fashined and gleefully grasping at straws.

Today, I was shooting at Spanish Banks and I ran out out of film. No biggie, I thought, but when I looked in my cam bag the bag she was bare. :-(

Last edited by Frank Granovski; June 12th, 2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I take my camera everywhere, even to my desk job. One day I got out of the car and was juggling the DSLR kit, Campack, and lunch, when I heard a thump as something hit the ground. "Phew, I'm glad that was the lunch bag", but that wasn't lunch, I'd dropped the D10 :/ It was fine though.

Goofing around in LA I ran out of memory cards. In desparation I took the camera out of raw and started shooting JPEG on the end of cards. Wasted an evening burning a card to cd on a friends computer. Got home and oops, I'd had an empty card all along, my card rotation scheme had gotten goofed up!
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Here is one from recently:

I accidentally dropped/knocked the company's Nikon D50 SLR off my desk from a height of about 20 inches on to the carpet.

I swore up and down and when I tried to test it out...it keep saying "error". I tried all the resets etc.

Dammit, I thought to myself! I'm going to have to make up some story.

Anyway, I removed the lens and looked at the mirror lock up and the door/shutter that protects the CCD,[after locking up the mirror] I carefully "nudged" it a bit, and the CCD door went back to normal and everything works.

Dodged a bullet there and said a big "whew!"
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Oh yeah, I dropped a video camera once too. I was climbing into an SUV and my backup Sony tinycam left my pocket and fell about eight feet to the parking lot below. Except for a small crack on the casing, it's fine.

Also took a lot of stills of a kid playing with a bubble machine on the weekend. No real damage there but it's the first time I had to clean glycerine off of the filter.
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Outer Circle

My film should be ready. I'll see if being 2 stops off with this film will be a loss or not---with some of the pics. Now if I would have used a digital camera, I would have seen what was going on in the viewfinder! I'm thinking Canon D5....
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy