DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Nikon D80 info? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/72867-nikon-d80-info.html)

Craig Chartier August 2nd, 2006 09:09 PM

Nikon D80 info?

Does anybody have any release info on this camera? list price? features?

Jacob Mason August 2nd, 2006 10:59 PM

We'll know for sure in about a week, with more possible leaks this weekend.
For now it's only speculation, and heresay.
I've posted some pix in this thread.

Frank Granovski August 3rd, 2006 04:27 AM

Does it have an uncropped CCD like the Canon 5D?

Jacob Mason August 3rd, 2006 11:55 AM

Nikon is committed to the APS-C 1.5x DX design.
If they implement a full frame sensor, it will be in a flagship model, not in something that is expected to replace/succeed a semi-pro model.

Frank Granovski August 3rd, 2006 07:28 PM

The Canon 5D with it's not-crop sensor isn't Canon's flagship cam. Nikon should should do this too.

Noah Hayes August 3rd, 2006 08:16 PM

Nikon's price scale isn't as steep as Canon's. Canon ranges from $799 to $7999... Nikon $699-$4699!!! If Nikon had decided to completely change their model lineup to have models through the same price range as the Canons, they would probably have multiple cameras with full-size sensors. In addition, they have a whole series of lenses devoted to the smaller image sensor size, the DX series! There is NO WAY the D80 or any Nikon DSLR below $3500 in the near future will have a fullsize sensor...they would be cannibalizing their D200 sales, which I think they are already going to be doing to some extent with the D80 being 10.2MP as well!

Frank Granovski August 3rd, 2006 08:43 PM

Yes, that's probaby why---. However, it's lame that Nikon can't get it together to debut an un-cropped sensor'd camera. They've dropped most of their film cameras but they haven't yet delivered the digital goods like Canon; and Canon still has their film line. (Angry I can't get an FM3A, even though Nikon.ca still has it listed. Buggers.)

Jacob Mason August 4th, 2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
Yes, that's probaby why---. However, it's lame that Nikon can't get it together to debut an un-cropped sensor'd camera.

To some extent I agree with you Frank, but in all actuality it would be lame of Nikon to let Canon or any other manufacturer define who they are, what they do, and how they do it.
That's not to say that Nikon shouldn't be responsive to the market and offer what customers want and pros need, because they are, and often times other manufacturers shape those requirements, but it's also imperative that they make efforts of their own to redefine photography, bringing something to the table that nobody had previously concieved. This may be why we have yet to see full frame from Nikon.
So, when Nikon makes the next step to advance their camera system, be it full frame or something else we'd never even heard of, I suspect that many photographers will find that it'll have been worth the wait.
In the meantime, if it's full frame you really want now, then go ahead with Canon or maybe a used Kodak 14n/14c.

Noah Hayes August 4th, 2006 08:23 PM

Just imagine a double-sized CCD/CMOS sensor for photography (or even better...videography)!!!! It would require a whole new lens system, but imagine the possibilities!!! Now thats what I would be interested in. We're all talking about "When will will digital become as good as film? Or whats the best way to get the 'film' look?" Why not aim for something BETTER than film? With all these manufacturers pulling out of the film camera industry...why not invest those R&D dollars into pushing digital into a whole new direction? Instead of trying to catch up to the existing technology, redefine the way we all think of photography and video?

Sorry for the rant, but hey I'd love a DSLR where I could crop down well beyond 1600% and still print a beautiful 20X30" print, or a camcorder that exceededs the quality of film many times over... imagine the possibilites

Frank Granovski August 4th, 2006 09:46 PM

Jacob, a cropped CCD is lame. So what if Nikon has to change it's lenses for a non-crop CCD cam. I always thought Nikon was the leader in the photo world. Now I see that it's Canon. The only thing holding me off buying a 5D is the high cost. I guess digicams still have not matured for the mainstream but Canon is doing a pretty good job.

Jacob Mason August 5th, 2006 08:34 PM

Quote:

Jacob, a cropped CCD is lame.

Okay.
If a cropped CCD is lame to you, fine, so then just go shoot full frame with Canon or Kodak.
Quote:

So what if Nikon has to change it's lenses for a non-crop CCD cam.

I don't understand what you're arguing here.
Are you suggesting that Nikon will have to change their classic F-mount in order to adapt to full frame?
Or that the vast selection of Nikkor 35mm lenses for the Nikon F mount won't be of any use?
I'm not sure what you're saying here.
Quote:

I always thought Nikon was the leader in the photo world. Now I see that it's Canon.

Okay, then by all means go with the leader if that suits your needs.

Frank Granovski August 6th, 2006 05:24 AM

Quote:

Are you suggesting that Nikon will have to change their classic F-mount
They already have a few times. The non-AI(S) F mounts do not fit my FM2T.

Bob Zimmerman August 6th, 2006 10:16 AM

I've read $899.

Jacob Mason August 6th, 2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

They already have a few times. The non-AI(S) F mounts do not fit my FM2T.

Frank, that doesn't answer my question with regard to changing the F-mount for full frame.
Is it because Canon changed their mount?
Is it a change out of general necessity for a number of reasons, or just a possiblity they should consider because of Canon's actions?
I don't dispute that a change will probably come eventually, but I don't understand why it would be necessary simply for full frame.

Jacob Mason August 6th, 2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
I've read $899.

Even though there isn't absolute confirmation on the price directly from a Nikon at this time, that price sounds about right.
899-1199 body/w/lens kit sounds very likely, and it's a figure that's rarely disputed among those speculating at this time.
Official announcement is only 3 days away.