Canon Digital Rebel XTi EOS400D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old August 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #16
Major Player

Speaking of viewfinders, D80 VF vs Rebel VF
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Actually, I'm probably going to catch some flack for this, but I personally like the smaller viewfinder. It makes for easier framing, IMO. When your eye has to account for a larger one, you begin missing things in the corner of your eye. I have to admit that if it were any smaller, I would probably not like it, but you get the idea.
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #18
Major Player

Well Kent, I won't throw any "flack" at you, but I will say you're probably the first person I've ever heard say that they prefer a smaller viewfinder.
That's definitely a first for my ears...errrr eyes. :)
To each his own.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I need to make that field trip too, because what I don't have at the house is a really good lens for the Rebel XT. I borrowed a 28-135 IS USM from a friend and managed to get several photos published with it... now I want one of my own, it's a great multi-purpose lens.

uh-oh! be careful getting started down that road! i hope you can afford it! one morning, you will wake up having spent as much on one lens as you have on a good hi-def camcorder. then you will know you have the disease.

the must-have full frame lens is the 16-35mm...for the rebel, the 10-22mm sigma. those babies are sick!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mason
Well Kent, I won't throw any "flack" at you, but I will say you're probably the first person I've ever heard say that they prefer a smaller viewfinder.
That's definitely a first for my ears...errrr eyes. :)
To each his own.
If having a smaller viewfinder does not equal a drop in quality, then I'm for the smaller viewfinder. If to have greater image quality means I have to have a larger viewfinder, then I'm all for that instead. I'm more for the end result rather than the present-moment in using the equipment. But I find that it makes for easier framing, seriously. I use less of my peripheral vision and more of my central vision to get the framing I'm looking for.
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
the 10-22mm sigma. those babies are sick!
Actually, that's 10-20. I've got that lens and I LOVE it. Canon makes the 10-22. I will admit that the Sig has a bit more barrel distortion than the Canon, but it's easily fixable using the lens correction feature in Photoshop CS2.
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #22
Inner Circle

by the looks of this, for the $1000 difference between it and a 30d, its going to be a tough choice...

I mean, i really dont see the differences in performance when tossing the two

any thoughts??
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:56 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Shorter shutter life on the XTi. It's entry level, aimed at people who want the SLR advantage with digital, but not someone who shoots weddings or something else where they shoot 20,000 photos (maybe less) per year or so.
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:33 AM   #24
Air China Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Frost
Actually, that's 10-20. I've got that lens and I LOVE it. Canon makes the 10-22. I will admit that the Sig has a bit more barrel distortion than the Canon, but it's easily fixable using the lens correction feature in Photoshop CS2.
I've got that baby as well. Good for landscapes, good for street.
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM   #25
Major Player

Pulled the Xti out of the box today at work, feels the same as a black XT (those of you who have touched a new rebel know what i mean, that gritty sandpaper-like grip) i hate the fact it doesnt have the screen on top...bigger screen looks nice but is kinda worthless IMHO. Seemed a bit faster than the XT, but again, Canon has the tendency to disappoint with new products this year for some reason (read: that worthless upgrade to the 20D, entire elph line) with the exception of the pleasant suprise of TWO replacements to the GL2...

Overall seems like a good deal with being 899, and getting 2 more megapixels for only 100bucks more than the XT, but I'm much more interested in the D80 (which if any of you want, I'll pull out of the box tomorrow and play around with) except for the whole SD card thing
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy