DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   what the duck? (.net) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/90517-what-duck-net.html)

Frank Granovski January 25th, 2004 02:58 AM

Before you buy your new digicam...

Read this informative link:

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/otherrvw.htm#spiff

Frank Granovski February 2nd, 2004 11:52 PM

Phil Askey

What is Phil Askey's URL for his camera reviews? Thanks!

Robert Mann Z. February 3rd, 2004 12:37 AM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Frank Granovski February 3rd, 2004 12:50 AM

Oh, that's the one. Thanks, Robert.

Frank Granovski April 28th, 2006 03:40 AM

thoughts about that new D-M?

Do you think it will worth the money for a Leica digital M? Me thinks not. Epson's been there with their RD1 and it ain't selling. But then maybe I'm missing something. What are your thoughts?

Frank Granovski April 29th, 2006 08:06 PM

All right. No one here is into M's. Leica's been talking/promising this for years. However, most likely it will be a Panasonic production because they all ready make a Leica digi-cam or two, plus their own line with "Leica-branded" lenses.

Frank Granovski May 18th, 2006 02:24 AM

I hate slow lenses (rant)

I have this wonderful Minolta M 90mm F4 lens. It's sharp and bokehful but at F4, it's oh so slow. I can't use it indoors unless I use a flash or push my film to Kingdom-come.

Cannon Pearson May 20th, 2006 07:35 AM

I bet it was half the price of the F2.8 model though.

Frank Granovski May 20th, 2006 03:31 PM

It was $300 Canadian - used but pristine. I leave it mounted to my 2nd Bessa R3A with HP5+ pushed 1 stop. If I use a 2X yellow filter, though, it's back down one stop. :-(

Frank Granovski May 29th, 2006 11:05 PM

which mag is best?

For reviews on cameras, digital and film, and camera equipment?

Frank Granovski May 30th, 2006 12:39 AM

Nikkor 105mm F2.5 AIS vs Nikon E 100mm F2.8 AIS (or AI)

I used the same film shooting at the same F-stop with both a metal ring version 100 E and a 105 F2.5 (not macro). I hatd some prints blown up a tad and I don't see any difference. I thought the Nikkor is sharper but I was wrong.

Frank Granovski May 30th, 2006 12:40 AM

Plus the 105 makes my camera tilt down whereas the 100 is balanced (plus cheaper).

Frank Granovski June 3rd, 2006 08:05 PM

Ugh---Leica M8

$5000 USD for the body; requires new Leica glass or have your existing glass sent to NJ to put in a chip. ($125 USD.) Yes, it's a digital M. Now you know why the Cosina/Epson RD1 is a better deal.

Frank Granovski June 25th, 2006 02:51 PM

finally hooked up my scanner

Some time back I bought a Konica-Minolta Dimage Scan Duel 1V. Last night I decided to hook it up and try and figure it out. Well, after 15 minutes or so, I scanned my first neg. (No need to buy a digi-cam yet.) :-)

Emre Safak June 25th, 2006 03:25 PM

I hope the scan itself did not take 15 minutes. A roll would take hours.

Tim Johnson June 25th, 2006 03:37 PM

i havent used film in forever - i love my dslr lol but good on you

does it scan 120 film?

Frank Granovski June 25th, 2006 04:51 PM

No, it took me about 15 minutes to set it up and scan my 1st pic (with it).

I kind of like that no-crop 5D but it's too pricey. I'm sure in a couple of years cams like this one will be half the price. In the mean time I just bought a new FM3a and I'm thinking of a new G2...have to think about it. Anyway, the total price of these 2 new cams = 55% of a new 5D. :-)

Frank Granovski June 27th, 2006 04:46 AM

Sand Sculptures

Last week I was at Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia. It's a nice get-away from Vancouver---after I had booked my favourite room at the Harrison Village Hotel (right beside the hot pool and across Harrison lake), my wife and I drove via the Heavenly Highway 7 for an hour and a half, at 80 K or about 70 MPH. Of course I took not 1 but 4 of my film cameras and I took lots of pics. Well, 4 rolls. Anyway, I'd like to share some of my sand sculpture pics here: http://www.photopoo.com/photos.htm (the first 8 pics). Every year Harrison has sand sculptures on display.

It's too bad I've invested in film cameras because I would love to have a Canon 5D or an Epson RD1 (SLR/rangefinder). Why? Because not only can you take BETTER photos with a decent digital cam, it's much cheaper than film---unless you want to make prints and blow them up. Oh, and Hope, BC, is just another hour's drive from Harrison (via Highway 7), and Hope---home of Rambo 1---has these beautiful wood carvings statues all over the place. It makes for interesting subject matter for your click clicks---film or digital. Have a good one!

Meryem Ersoz June 27th, 2006 08:23 AM

those are freakishly cool. as an impatient person, what patient people can manage to produce never ceases to amaze me....i wonder how much time goes into making just one of those, let alone a half-dozen....

Frank Granovski July 1st, 2006 09:09 PM

These artists spend a few weeks making them. They get paid for it, of course. They charge $8 Canadian to go inside the fence and see them.

Frank Granovski July 16th, 2006 05:05 AM

Sonys

Are these Sonys gonna be any good?

Jacob Mason July 16th, 2006 12:33 PM

They’ll be good for some people, but not all.
Right now, the Alpha system isn’t really positioned to be any better or worse than Nikon or Canon. There are certain things that the Alpha system offers that the others don’t and vice versa.
Based on some of the early trial reports, the A100 has done well, but other reports weren't so stellar.
Phil from DPreview had to send their test camera back to Sony for another and redo their tests due to camera problems.
Complaints of the A100 from various sources dealt with certain IQ issues - specifically, poor color rendition, particularly on skin tones, and unappealing noise at ISO 400 and up.
ISO has become the new Megapixel, as clean noise-free images begin to take priority over an abundance of dirty resolution.
There are also some complaints about the price of the glass for the alpha system.
Super steady shot is a killer feature, but it may not be enough to persuade buyers who aren’t willing to invest lots of money into the lenses to get the most out of their images.
I haven’t heard any grumblings about operation/handling, build quality, or anything like that, but I expect that to remain solid since it is for the most part still Minolta.
Another alpha DSLR may be announced this fall, possibly something a little less powerful than the A100 in the $500 price range, likely having less resolution, but better noise performance.
Other interesting announcements will come from Nikon, Canon, and the other players this fall as well.
The Alpha system is interesting, but for right now, the A100 isn’t a strong enough camera to make me consider investing in them over Nikon and/or Canon.

Frank Granovski July 21st, 2006 03:27 AM

Thanks Jacob!

Guess what I got today. My brother dropped by and gave me a nice Minolta Hi-Matic 7s.

Frank Granovski July 29th, 2006 04:26 PM

everyone line up for the new Leica M8

Yes, a digital Leica M camera! It boasts a low resolution CCD with a crop factor; and you will have to buy new Leica lenses for it or get your old ones "chipped"---though most of the old M lenses cannot be chipped. Now is the time to make arrangements with your bank so that you can buy one of these beauts, along with a lens or 2. Me? Not me. I'd rather jump off a bridge before spending that kind of money on over-priced Teutonic cr**. :-)

Keith Wakeham July 30th, 2006 03:59 PM

Well what I found is that it is a 10.5Mp with a 1.33 crop factor. I don't know much about it, but for the price (5K USD? I heard) it doesn't look like your getting much more than with nikon and canon stuff, but then again I don't know Lecia. I'm guessing its more a niche market or something i'm not understanding.

Frank Granovski July 30th, 2006 04:58 PM

Yeah, it's crop factor is 1.33. It makes the Canon 5D look all the sweeter.

Frank Granovski July 31st, 2006 11:45 AM

those new Zeiss lenses

The F-mounts and the M-mounts.... No real reviews yet huge price increases. Looks like Zeiss is going the way of the Dodo, 'er, Leica. At least with Nikon and Canon lenses, not can you only read reviews, you can look and touch them in your local store. :-)

Frank Granovski August 12th, 2006 09:18 PM

Seems like Zeiss is selling them via their Zeiss website, and for more.

Frank Granovski August 19th, 2006 05:00 PM

Mama mia, it's almost $5,000 USD!

Frank Granovski August 19th, 2006 07:41 PM

I think I'll buy a Zeiss M lens

And get rid of my 2 other M lenses. What the heck; you only live once. I wonder if it's as sharp as the Zeiss 45mm Contax mount.

Keith Loh August 20th, 2006 12:25 PM

Gah.. I'll keep saving for the 3 grand 5D thank you

Frank Granovski August 21st, 2006 05:27 AM

Yeah. And that's just for the body. :-(

Frank Granovski August 24th, 2006 04:44 AM

Well, I got a buyer for my 2 Leica lenses and bought a Voigt 50mm F1.5. Coupled with a screwmount to M adaptor, it was still 1/2 the price of the Zeiss 50/2. Maybe this lens will be good enough.

http://www.photopoo.com/photos.htm - top pic: attempted to steal a bottle of booze, chased, tackled and knocked out. Welcome to Vancouver! :-(

Frank Granovski August 24th, 2006 06:33 AM

The lens is this: 50/1.5 ASPH Nokton. There's info at http://www.cameraquest.com and a short review here: http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigtl01.html

It seems to be a very good lens but not a great lens, reflected with the low price, I presume. Hopefully I'll have it soon so I can screw it on and test it out.

Frank Granovski August 24th, 2006 06:36 AM

One plus about this lens is that it has 52mm filter threads. So I can use my Nikon filters and hoods.

Frank Granovski August 25th, 2006 01:53 PM

So I received my 50/1.5 ASPH Nokton today. It is as beautiful as a non-AI Nikkor 50mm, but not as heavy. It's already fastened to my Bessa. Now I just have to dig into my over-sized camera bag and pull out a filter and a hood, and away I go!

Frank Granovski August 30th, 2006 11:27 PM

My 50/1.5 ASPH Nokton today is super sharp

Got back my first rolls. Too bad I have to use a mount adaptor to use it. I wish Cosina would make this lens in several different mounts. It would be a good seller.

Frank Granovski September 2nd, 2006 04:37 AM

Compared the prints with it and my 40mm F2 'cron, along with comparing high resolution scans. Seems like the Nokton 50mm F1.5 is super-sharp. Plus its bokeh is pleasing. I believe B&H sells this lens. If not, try http://www.cameraquest.com.

Note: this is a Leica screw mount lens. An adaptor costs about $50. Several adaptors are available from Cosina/Voigtlander. I'm using an M-mount adaptor. Works well.

Frank Granovski September 2nd, 2006 04:44 AM

Oh, forgot. The price of this lens is $329 USD. The filter size is 52mm (Like many of the Nikkor lenses). This lens is a real bargain.

Frank Granovski September 14th, 2006 08:25 PM

Leica M8 is finally announced

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...8previewed.asp

$5,000 USD or there abouts just for the body. I wonder how many of these cameras will sell in the next 12 months?