Live stream a wedding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Live stream a wedding?

I have a bride that wants to know if this is possible. Her grandparents are to old to travel and will not be able to make the wedding. The wedding will be at a church with no internet access. I will be able to use an ATT card for my PC/MAC. I was thinking about using Skype to video conference the wedding. I'm not sure how good the built-in camera on my Macbook will look though. I was thinking about buying a nicer ($100) webcam to see if that helps. Can I attach my HV30 and use its video feed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chad Dyle
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #2
New Boot

I'm not sure about hardware and connectivity, but also check out a site like stickam.com. I've heard tech types talk about it, and it sounds like it might be designed for the sort of thing you want to do. You might just be able to give out a link (assuming their computer is up to spec with flash, etc.).
Evan Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Evan already mentioned Stickam, but I'd like to add two more names to the list: Ustream and Mogulus.

I haven't used any of these products, but I know that they are quickly gaining users. Leo Laporte has been broadcasting live video at the same time that he records podcasts over at Twit (his live feed is: twitlive.tv). I believe he's using Stickam for that.

Some other podcasters that I follow have used Ustream to do the same thing, and they also have an interactive chat so they can talk to their listeners/watchers.

As far as using your HV30, I see no reason why not. I'm not sure how you generally film weddings (assuming that the bride is a client of yours), but as long as the HV30 is not the main camera in your shoot (i.e. constantly moving around) then I see no reason why you couldn't use it to broadcast live.

The only issue that you're going to run into is the bandwidth connection over the cellular phone networks. Video takes a lot of upload speed in order to send it out to one of these streaming services, so chances are, the ATT card will not be able to support it (and if it does support it, you might be piping so much data through it that you quickly surpass your monthly alloted bandwidth and find yourself paying overage costs for thousands of dollars!).

I would look into your ATT plan to see how much upload bandwidth you're alloted, and if you have enough, then try it out from home using your laptop to stream the video and then another desktop computer to check the quality online.

Best of luck! I hope this works out for you!
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

possibly the church has a back office with some hi-speed internet connection already.

you would just need to bring an access point to connect wireless a laptop.
I got very good result with firewire input and windows media encoder, but netmeeting or skype can do as well.

the better the video source , and the better the stream, so forget about web cams as good as they are.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Tourist

use www.iWedlive.com

Hi,

we are the team working on iWedlive.com, a web site dedicated to wedding media, streaming, video, and albums. we are still working on the site, the site is perfectly ready for live streaming live wedding video over the internet. Lastly most of the functionalities of the site are FREE subject to fair use.

we will be pleased if any of you are interested in live streaming wedding videos and use it to host albums and videos.

Thank You

iWedlive.com Team
Srinivas Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
Can I attach my HV30 and use its video feed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chad Dyle
I went thru this last year. I left 30 minutes to get the broadcast up and running but after testing it successfully days before, I was unable to get my Canon A1 to work on THE day. I went with the builtin for the broadcast and it stunk. Too wide. The name of the game is a tight shot of the alter for grandma and grandpa.

You may hit the same (operator err) problem with your HV30. I tested it with the camera in DV mode but of course, for THE day, I set it to record HDV. That was putting out HDV over the firewire and QT broadcaster would not even see the device. I'm not sure about the HV30 but if you plan to record HDV, you probably cannot send SD DV over the firewire at the same time. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Major Player

You are correct. Most broadcasters cannot understand HDV signal. The only one I know of is Wirecast but it is a $400 program and to use HDV you need a $90 plugin. The way I record HDV and stream DV on my XL-H1A is to record in HDV mode, but then hook up the RCA output to a capture box which then feeds a standard DV signal to my encoder. This allows HDV on cam and DV to the computer. If you do not have a capture box then you just need to run in DV mode and forget about HDV for the camera that is hooked up to the stream. Compressing HDV on the fly to a streaming format is a hell of a task anyways. Most connections and computers that Grandma and Grandpa have will not be able to keep up with it anyways.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View