how to live stream HD video from camera to projector or monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old September 6th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

how to live stream HD video from camera to projector or monitor

I would like to stream video from my camera during an event directly to a projector or monitor so the guests can see the festivities as they occur. I would like to do this without cables. I know there are transmitting devices available but I'm not familiar with them, do not know what they're called. anyone know of these devices?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: how to live stream HD video from camera to projector or monitor

I'm not sure what your price range is, but here are some I found just doing a "wireless video" search at B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/908055-REG/idx_cw_1_wireless_hdmi_transmitter.htmlI use the big brother in our sports arena and get 500 ft. Now we do get hits depending on how many people are trying to hit the wireless but overall for the price it does well. The key is getting the receiver as high as possible well over peoples heads.
Here is something on the cheap but requires analog video out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330515-REG/RF_Link_AVS5811_AVS_5811_5_8_GHz_Wireless.htmlThey only go up in price.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks David! Great suggestions the first one, the more expensive one looks excellent and would be a perfect choice. If I proceed with my plan I now have a device which I can purchase.thanks again.
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Teradek Cube is expensive and excellent. You need a transmitter and receiver, usually, though an iPAD or other wifi device including a laptop can act as a receiver.

Best of all, they are available for rental in my town, maybe yours, too.

Don't know how they compare to the previously suggested gear...
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Jeff, I don't know what kind of events you are showing on the screen, but if it's something lip synched, you may need to see how much delay the wireless system adds to your video. Some systems are better than others at this. If you end up with one that has a lot of delay, your playback will be many frames behind the real action, which can be very annoying to sit through.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Major Player

The IDX has a very minimal delay. I think that would be the one to go to depending on price.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Noa, Warren. I like the IDX on paper David.
Old September 8th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Inner Circle

If these weddings are high budget productions, then I worry about this kind of thing. We don't do weddings - we do mainly theatres, and often clients want to add this kind of thing because they see it on TV all the time. After all, they say, it's just a screen.

My worry is simply that you need an extra person and the extra cost. The person shooting video does not want the extra baggage and split brain that live video causes.

If you are shooting video that is going to be edited, then you can crash frame and focus, simply getting from perfect shot A to perfect shot B in as quick a time as you can. Introduce a screen, and you need to artistically go from A to B so it looks ok to the people there. You need to concentrate on the viewfinder 100% because the shots you edit out will be on view. You also need to keep looking at the screen to check you've not accidentally moved into an RF null area and the screen image is broken up.When you use lots of radio mics, you need somebody to watch them, and this applies to the video feed too. It's a great idea, and looks amazing - but is far from trouble free. The links go down often, unpredictably, and what do you do? Sort the in room video feed or carry on capturing shots for the edit. Do you end up on a static support because wobblyvision on a big screen makes people feel nauseous? Does the tripod then prevent you getting the best shots for the edit?

The technical side is much easier than before, but it can look simply awful when the person with the camera shoots in their normal style - the audience will interpret the dodgy stuff as the quality of the video. Not always good. Ideally, a person with a small mixer and second camera who can switch to the wide when the camera is reframing or moving, is vital for the uninformed public to understand.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View