DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   A new forum section for (live event) video streaming? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/531787-new-forum-section-live-event-video-streaming.html)

Chris Harding August 8th, 2016 10:00 PM

Re: A new forum section for (live event) video streaming?

Hi Andrew

Good point I guess ..then again there are now 30 replies all neatly in one thread here which might be easier to collate than scattered post in Open DV which has a huge variation in topics which might be harder to collate .. Pity we don't have a "temporary" forum that users could create and then they would all be together. OK will have to consider using Open DV until Chris is not so busy! Don't want to upset the big boss!!

Donald McPherson August 8th, 2016 11:52 PM

Hi Chris. Yes. It has transmitter and reciever. I plan to use one of those battery charger batteries to run the things in field for complete wire free. (will have to do a test to see how long they will run.) Also the Elgato hd 60 HDMI > USB to feed it into the laptop.

Chris Harding August 16th, 2016 02:38 AM

this thread started way back in May so I'm sure there must be enough justification for it to deserve it's own section ..please Chris we would really appreciate it! Even on weddings now I'm doing pretty much only a live stream as it means I can, (as an oldie who can still edit in camera) shoot a wedding in HD, stream it in HD and provide a SDE without having to spend days on my computer editing a wedding video ..It's so great. Shooting toss the gear in the car and you are done and dusted ..the downloadable MP4 video is available seconds after the shoot so I have virtually eliminated the edit stage !! If I need fancy titles and captions for an event I just stream to a laptop with the virtual mix studio on it and add pre-prepared graphics. It's such a great way to do things!

Karl Walter Keirstead August 17th, 2016 12:00 PM

Yes, yes, yes.

Good to have a forum section on live event streaming.

I do a lot of work for small theaters with limited box office sales.

It has taken 2 years but they now see they can double their revenue with local blackout and charging perhaps $6-12 instead of $25+ per "seat" for live streaming.

Metropolitan Opera apparently gets 80% of their revenue from live broadcasts worldwide. Anyone able to confirm this number?

Douglas Call August 17th, 2016 12:43 PM

On page 4 of the Metropolitan Opera annual report 2015 shows that total revenue was $306M
see link below:
http://www.metopera.org/metoperafile...ts%20Final.pdf

looks like a small percentage of overall revenue may have come from media streaming (Simulcast HD).

Karl Walter Keirstead August 17th, 2016 04:05 PM

Thanks, good to have this clarification. I had heard the opposite.

Andrew Smith August 17th, 2016 07:31 PM

Hi Karl,

Any chance you could do a thread in the "Open DV discussion" section with how they manage to achieve a local blackout for streams?

This would be very handy to know.

Andrew

Chris Hurd August 18th, 2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1919322)
this thread started way back in May so I'm sure there must be enough justification for it to deserve it's own section...

May?! Good Heavens! Done!

Douglas Call August 18th, 2016 09:19 AM

Thanks we knew all rumors of your untimely demise were false!

Chris Harding August 18th, 2016 05:52 PM

Chris you are indeed a saint! Many thanks for creating the new forum. We know you are a busy guy!

Andrew Smith August 18th, 2016 07:16 PM

Busy? I'd given up on bugging him about it. :-D

Andrew