DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   A new forum section for (live event) video streaming? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/531787-new-forum-section-live-event-video-streaming.html)

Andrew Smith May 5th, 2016 07:01 PM

A new forum section for (live event) video streaming?

Just noticed that we don't have one.

It could be a sub-part of 'Distribution Center' but I think streaming is a little bit bigger than that. Perhaps as its own section within 'Special Interest Areas'?

Andrew

Nathan Buck May 6th, 2016 01:24 AM

Re: A new forum section for (live event) video streaming?

I'd like this too!

Bruce Dempsey May 6th, 2016 07:53 AM

Without a doubt a Streaming section will be helpful

John Nantz May 6th, 2016 02:53 PM

A Live Video Streaming section would be useful for not only those who are actually doing it but also for those who see doing this in their future.

Many of the new cams are functionally ready with Wi-Fi for live streaming, including the Sony PXW-Z150, JVC GY-HM200, and the JVC GY-LS300. Unfortunately, there can be connection difficulties in getting something set up and running in a manner one would like so a forum area for discussion would be really useful.

Obviously church and sports venues are places where live streaming would be done but there are many other areas where streaming would be useful.

While looking for my next cam the Wi-Fi feature seemed to be just one more expensive ad-on or something to go wrong; however, I’ve got some ideas and Wi-Fi capability is in my next cam’s future, be it built-in or an add-on via an output.

A generic Live Video Streaming section that cuts across all brands would be nice to have.

Jon Fairhurst May 6th, 2016 04:26 PM

Great idea. I would include both live production and streaming as these often go hand in hand. One might start with one camera and a mic, but pretty soon they will want another cameras, then graphics, bottom thirds, music bumpers, effects, and maybe even ad insertion! And then there's manpower vs. running the show solo. Maybe you want a live chroma key - now you can do 3D synthetic sets! There's lots of stuff in this space that we simply don't need to consider in offline production.

The streaming part is just the gateway. :)

Bruce Watson May 7th, 2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1914053)
A Live Video Streaming section would be useful for not only those who are actually doing it but also for those who see doing this in their future.

Yes, this. It would be very nice to have a video streaming section just for this reason. All the other reasons are just piling on.

Jack Zhang May 8th, 2016 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1914057)
Great idea. I would include both live production and streaming as these often go hand in hand. One might start with one camera and a mic, but pretty soon they will want another cameras, then graphics, bottom thirds, music bumpers, effects, and maybe even ad insertion! And then there's manpower vs. running the show solo. Maybe you want a live chroma key - now you can do 3D synthetic sets! There's lots of stuff in this space that we simply don't need to consider in offline production.

The streaming part is just the gateway. :)

Seconded. I do this for 2 fan conventions currently and we are the only convention in one of the fandoms to have an operational at convention TV station you can tune into via the hotel televisions and via the web.

Douglas Call May 8th, 2016 07:44 PM

Sounds great to me. I even have a 3rd party streaming device that lets you stream direct from your camcorder to a live stream hosting site using the widely available USB plug in Verizon/ATT 3G/4G LTE modems. No WiFi required!

Steven Digges May 16th, 2016 10:29 AM

Another vote for it from me. I have asked the question before about where streaming posts should go and never received an answer.

We have the Wedding and Events forum here. I believe I am the only event guy that is a regular there. It is truly a wedding forum. In fact over the years two of the wedding guys told me my contributions did not count because I don't shoot weddings! Pretty funny, I have over twenty years of experience shooting almost everything else but weddings. I think if we separated events from weddings and put streaming and live event production and all of the things you guys mentioned in its own sub forum we would get a lot more contributions.

I did my first major live webcast in 2007. Has it ever changed since then! And it is a technology that changes faster than any other tech I use. Here is a link to the best site out there specializing in streaming and it's not a forum so I can post it here: Streaming Media - Online Video News, Trends, and Analysis

That site covers everything from single camera webcasts to how the big guys like Netflix do it. They also publish a very nice bi-monthly printed magazine and the subscription is free to professionals. I have learned a ton of stuff there.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Benjamin Maas May 23rd, 2016 10:46 AM

Would love to see a true live event section- both streaming and not. I pretty much exclusively do live work, but felt totally out of sorts the few times I ended up in what is really the wedding (event) forum.

--Ben

Douglas Call May 23rd, 2016 12:30 PM

where are you posting the live stream messages now? I wanted to comment on live streaming and not sure where everyone is putting those posts.

Simon Denny May 23rd, 2016 07:57 PM

A forum for live event/streaming would be fantastic, this is pretty much all I do now.

Andrew Smith May 25th, 2016 08:45 PM

I've been posting in the open section here: Open DV Discussion Forum at DV Info Net

It's a good place to be in the meantime, and Chris Hurd will collect these and transfer them to the new section once there are enough threads for the new 'streaming' section to look impressively non-vacant.

Andrew

John Nantz May 25th, 2016 09:54 PM

Yesterday (May 24) I was at the KeyCode Media event at the Space Needle in Seattle and it was amazing how much of their Post NAB Show event had to do with streaming media. My guesstimate is that about 2/3rds of the event was dealing with streaming in one form or other, and that doesn’t include the camcorders like Sony, Black Magic, and JVC that also featured live streaming with or via their gear.

There is a LOT of money in the streaming area and the place was packed.

Chris Harding May 26th, 2016 06:20 AM

+1 here too. We are now offering Live Streaming at both weddings but mainly funerals ..they are an event that has very little notice (usually 3 days) so a live stream is an essential for guests that simply cannot make it in the time frame. Ours is simple admittedly with a single cam doing the live stream via Live Stream Broadcaster but we also use a second cam and edit that footage with the Ninja2 capture locally so the family have a more comprehensive record. It certainly is a growing field now so a forum for hints, tips and help would be awesome!!!

Douglas Call May 26th, 2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1915196)
I've been posting in the open section here: Open DV Discussion Forum at DV Info Net

It's a good place to be in the meantime, and Chris Hurd will collect these and transfer them to the new section once there are enough threads for the new 'streaming' section to look impressively non-vacant.

Andrew

That sounds like a great idea!

Calvin Bellows July 25th, 2016 11:39 PM

I would love a live streaming page as well

Chris Harding July 26th, 2016 06:44 AM

We do "in the middle of nowhere" streaming (fully portable) just with a single camera with a wifi hotspot and Livestream Broadcaster Pro as well as a "studio" setup for a bridal show with cams going into the computer setup with Studio 4.1 and live mixes/graphics and added pre-recorded clips. Gosh it would be awesome to be able to get and offer advice on issues we have both studio and field based setups. I have relied so much on DV Info for my video feedback in the camera sections as well as the wedding section and thankfully always get a bunch of helpful advice when I hit an issue or find a great idea!

I'm sure, as busy as he is, Chris Hurd will set up a Live Event forum for us as soon as he gets a break!!

Donald McPherson July 26th, 2016 12:50 PM

As I sit here. I was just setting up a HDMI stream via elgato HD60 into Xsplit. Seems to work. Although not tested to YouTube yet. I can also get my Sony pxw x70 Wi Fi streaming to VLC then screen capture into Xsplit. So now I have two scenes. As I'm a cheapskate. If I get a remote 3 way HDMI splitter would this also give me three streams. Main camera scene one and the other three scene two. Only £5 lost if a no go.

HDMI 3 way Port Selector Auto Switch with Remote Control & IR - 3 in 1 out PE6O | eBay

Chris Harding August 1st, 2016 07:02 AM

Hi Donald

I was thinking about an HDMI splitter but I was told more than one source will mean loss of sync as there is a tiny delay during switching. At the moment I'm using LiveStream Studio which is really nice (I'm cheap too and it's free but limited to two inputs only) However it does a nice job. I'm using the Livestream Broadcaster on camera encoder when I'm outdoors as it is totally portable but indoors I can also use the same encoder to hook up via wifi to the computer and stream locally to the Studio software so no cables needed within the wifi range and the studio software has really nice features too.

Douglas Call August 1st, 2016 08:12 AM

I also use the free version of Livestream Studio Software (Version 4.1.1). For quality shoots will usually connect the primary camera to the Laptop using the Black Magic USB 3.0 UltraStudio SDI. Then connect the secondary camera to the Laptop's through it's built-in HDMI connector. For live streaming from the field will use the Teradek Cube 255 with a Pantech 4G LTE Modem. The Cube 255 is an HD video encoder for HDMI sources. This particular unit streams via Ethernet, 2.4/5GHz WiFi, or a single 3G/4G LTE USB dongle to content delivery networks like Livestream, Ustream, Youtube etc.

The Sony PXW-X180 (XDCAM) camcorder also lets you live stream directly from it’s built in USB connector with an optional Sony adapter that lets you attach the external 4G LTE USB Modem.

Steven Digges August 1st, 2016 12:54 PM

Douglas,

How do you connect a camera to the HDMI port on a laptop? Everyone I have ever seen is an output only. Do you have a HDMI port that can also work as an input?

Kind Regards,

Steve

Douglas Call August 1st, 2016 01:39 PM

My mistake I connect my other camera through the 3.0 USB connector not the HDMI connector, using the AJA USB 3.0 U-TAP HDMI connector.
https://www.aja.com/en/products/u-tap-hdmi

Chris Harding August 1st, 2016 11:04 PM

Our main camera is in the room next door to our computer room for the show we do so we use the Livestream Broadcaster to connect to the vision mix computer in stream mode so it connects wirelessly between the two .. as long as the Broadcaster and computer are on the same network it works brilliantly and no excessive cable runs and totally portable in our makeshift studio. There is a tiny amount of latency between what you see in Livestream Studio and what is happening in front of the camera but it's very minimal (about 250ms) so no big deal!

Chris Harding August 5th, 2016 07:04 AM

Just for interest we are doing the pilot live stream of a new bridal show called "The Perth Bridal Show" bringing wedding vendors to brides-to-be via a live broadcast and it will feature different suppliers each fortnight. If anyone wants to watch on this side of the world it's on Sunday 7th August 2016 at 2:30pm (Perth time so GMT +8) Probably a wee bit early for East Coast USA people in the morning but still feasible if you are on the West Coast of the USA!! I will probably need a lot of help after trying to stream a complex thing like this but I'm always willing to give it a try!! We have an experienced ex-National TV presenter which should help matters.

The event link is at : Perth Bridal Show Pilot on Livestream

Andrew Smith August 7th, 2016 02:57 AM

Hi Chris,

I've taken a look at the replay and it's great to see you.

My first thoughts were that during the start of the program there was a produced piece playing at the same time and the audio was coming through. And the vision was switching back and forth at once stage. It almost looked like a prank was being played on the host.

The enduring thing is that the audio levels were completely wild. Some of the guests were quite low in volume compared to the host who at times sounded like she was almost distorting.

And I can understand how this sort of thing can happen.

Andrew

Chris Harding August 7th, 2016 05:40 AM

Hi Andrew

Yep it was me to blame totally sadly but the buck stops with me and it was an intense learning experience!
I was the producer, vision mixer and cameraman between two rooms which was a mistake so firstly I messed up the sequences, then forgot to turn down the remote camera audio while a media clip was playing and the camera was basically set so both mics (host and guest) were preset as the cam was in the room next door ... should have had someone there tweaking the levels as I was mixing thru an XLR adapter under the camera so the live audio came thru mixed and could only be adjusted on the remote mixer, not at the desk!! Also NOT a good idea to play "guest" and mix/produce at the same time.

It was all a learning curve so the next one should be a lot better .. I'll have someone on the camera with headphones to adjust audio levels on each channel and instead of getting so fancy at the start I'll make up just one pre-recorded intro clip instead of pulling in colour bars then an intro clip and also trying to rush to the next room to ne interviewed!! Livestream Studio is very nice mixing software but needs some learning to become a decent operator. Our usual streams are weddings and funerals with everything on the camera so it's much easier!!

Your comments were greatly appreciated ...funny someone else said the host audio was too low compared to the guest audio.

Chris

Donald McPherson August 8th, 2016 01:06 PM

I just recieved my "Konig wireless HDMI Solution" Tried it on the SKY box through two brick walls about 3 metres. There is intermitent blocking and after about 45 minutes it was hot to touch. Hopefully line of sight will be much better as it boasts 30 metres. Now all I need to do is get some gigs to pay for my toys.
Should I offer a few "Pay what you think it's worth." Just to get my name out there.

Chris Harding August 8th, 2016 06:33 PM

Our Livestream Broadcaster units do much the same via wifi and seem to do a good job thru one wall. Yes our units also get quite warm too after a while. Maybe encoders all do that??? Does your unit need a transmitter and receiver Donald? If I use my Broadcaster because it's wifi I just need the unit on the camera only and it comes in as a remote camera plus of course I can also stream live just with the broadcaster too. What sort of cost are you looking at??

Andrew Smith August 8th, 2016 06:56 PM

Actually, I was going to mention that some of these replies should be their own individual threads in the "Open DV Discussion" section which can then be collated in to the new Streaming section when it is created.

Chris Hurd is waiting for enough threads and discussion to populate the section before he then creates it.

Andrew

Chris Harding August 8th, 2016 10:00 PM

Hi Andrew

Good point I guess ..then again there are now 30 replies all neatly in one thread here which might be easier to collate than scattered post in Open DV which has a huge variation in topics which might be harder to collate .. Pity we don't have a "temporary" forum that users could create and then they would all be together. OK will have to consider using Open DV until Chris is not so busy! Don't want to upset the big boss!!

Donald McPherson August 8th, 2016 11:52 PM

Hi Chris. Yes. It has transmitter and reciever. I plan to use one of those battery charger batteries to run the things in field for complete wire free. (will have to do a test to see how long they will run.) Also the Elgato hd 60 HDMI > USB to feed it into the laptop.

Chris Harding August 16th, 2016 02:38 AM

this thread started way back in May so I'm sure there must be enough justification for it to deserve it's own section ..please Chris we would really appreciate it! Even on weddings now I'm doing pretty much only a live stream as it means I can, (as an oldie who can still edit in camera) shoot a wedding in HD, stream it in HD and provide a SDE without having to spend days on my computer editing a wedding video ..It's so great. Shooting toss the gear in the car and you are done and dusted ..the downloadable MP4 video is available seconds after the shoot so I have virtually eliminated the edit stage !! If I need fancy titles and captions for an event I just stream to a laptop with the virtual mix studio on it and add pre-prepared graphics. It's such a great way to do things!

Karl Walter Keirstead August 17th, 2016 12:00 PM

Yes, yes, yes.

Good to have a forum section on live event streaming.

I do a lot of work for small theaters with limited box office sales.

It has taken 2 years but they now see they can double their revenue with local blackout and charging perhaps $6-12 instead of $25+ per "seat" for live streaming.

Metropolitan Opera apparently gets 80% of their revenue from live broadcasts worldwide. Anyone able to confirm this number?

Douglas Call August 17th, 2016 12:43 PM

On page 4 of the Metropolitan Opera annual report 2015 shows that total revenue was $306M
see link below:
http://www.metopera.org/metoperafile...ts%20Final.pdf

looks like a small percentage of overall revenue may have come from media streaming (Simulcast HD).

Karl Walter Keirstead August 17th, 2016 04:05 PM

Thanks, good to have this clarification. I had heard the opposite.

Andrew Smith August 17th, 2016 07:31 PM

Hi Karl,

Any chance you could do a thread in the "Open DV discussion" section with how they manage to achieve a local blackout for streams?

This would be very handy to know.

Andrew

Chris Hurd August 18th, 2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1919322)
this thread started way back in May so I'm sure there must be enough justification for it to deserve it's own section...

May?! Good Heavens! Done!

Douglas Call August 18th, 2016 09:19 AM

Thanks we knew all rumors of your untimely demise were false!

Chris Harding August 18th, 2016 05:52 PM

Chris you are indeed a saint! Many thanks for creating the new forum. We know you are a busy guy!