Blackmagic Web Presenter - Thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old February 27th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Blackmagic Web Presenter - Thoughts?

I've been looking at the Blackmagic Design Web Presenter as a way of simplifying my live streaming work- https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...icwebpresenter

Currently, I have a 4 camera live production kit with flypack that has a hardware h.264 encoder and custom software for sending that encoded stream to any number of different types of streaming servers. This has proven to be a great solution for streaming large scale, multi-camera productions. Especially when the stream needs to be behind a paywall or requires custom integration into a client's website, or additional stream security.

What it isn't great for is small streaming jobs- Simple, single camera gigs for conferences or small businesses. Hauling my entire flypack out, setting it up, configuring the encoder and streaming software, all to get what essentially is a glorified webcam seems to be a lot of work. It seems there must be an easier way, and the Blackmagic Web Presenter seems ideal.

However, at just under $500, it also seems a little bit on the expensive side for a device that essentially turns a video source into a webcam.

Has anyone here used the Web Presenter? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Are there other devices out there that accomplish the same thing? Maybe for less money?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Blackmagic Web Presenter - Thoughts?

Hi Adam

$580.00 if you put the LCD screen up front as well so it is quite pricey for what basically is an HDMI>USB converter and you still need to go thru a lap top to do your broadcast. If you have to use a camera with an SDI or HDMI output then you might as well use just a converter. Have you looked at Logitech's new 4K webcam? It has a UHD sensor and output and HDR lighting all for under $200!! and plugs directly into your computer.

The massive disadvantage of the web presenter for me is it needs mains power ..one would have thought that a tiny unit like that could have incorporated a battery pack to make it portable. We do lots of outdoor weddings so I have to have gear that is self powered when people are getting married in a park or on a beach which rules out the Black Magic sadly! At the moment I'm using Livestream's Broadcaster Pro mounted on the camera when I need to shoot outdoors and it's quite a compact unit ..the Teradek is a bit more pricey but streams anywhere so that's probably the best single camera option at the moment.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Like Chris said for a basic stream all you need is laptop and an inexpensive USB converter to connect your camera. Beyond that it's hard comment on a device when we don't really know why you need it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That will work of course but you need to be very careful with your switching software recognising the "USB" output. Roger Gunkel bought two converters and neither would work with vMix!! Make sure your converter has been tested with your switching software before you buy it it might say "HDMI>USB" but that doesn't mean the software will see it as a camera input.

We use an even simpler method for wedding ceremonies ..just an HDMI camera going straight into an encoder as we don't need graphics or such for a one camera shoot. We use Livestream Broadcasters but they only stream to Livestream ..however they also work as a remote camera with Studio software too.

Maybe the answer is a Teradek encoder on the camera shoe and a wifi hotspot ...it's a really simple way to go live! I'm sure the web presenter will work with Livestream Studio but I wonder if it works with other switching software?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Adam was asking about a simple single camera stream. The setup I mention has the flexibility to use whatever streaming service the client wants. If you own a laptop then all you need is an inexpensive adapter.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View